News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Chelsea at Tottenham, matchday 5 report.

1st half: Nuno does some coaching :O Spurs are playing actually exciting football :O High press, possession, tackles left and right, they are a joy to watch and the players seem to fit this type of play way more than the usual parking of the bus and playing counter. It helps not playing like 3 defensive midfielders...
Nuno is playing Hojberg, Dele and Ndombele, who seems to be thoroughly enjoying himself. He's very strong on the ball and technically brilliant. Not sure why Mourinho and Pocchetino hated his guts.

Lukaku is invisible, Havertz is having an off day and Mount flails about. The only note of concern is Alonso, who seems to have a lot of room down that flank. For some reason Spurs fans boo him at every touch, what's the story there?

Still nil-nil at the half though, domination without a shot on target.

2nd half: well there ya go. Chelsea turns it on for the 1st 10 minutes and Spurs are down 2-0... You can tell they drop their shoulders after that, and the rest of the half they barely touch the ball. They really don't have an answer to what Chelsea is offering. It doesn't help that Nuno changes Ndombele for Skipp... Real vote of confidence in your attacking power there coach  :rolleyes:

3-nil final score. A little harsh for Spurs, as they were so dominant in the first. Then again you can't win if you don't score and Chelsea trashed them around in the second half.

Maybe I should have gone with Everton  :cry:

FunkMonk

Just sitting here lolling at Spurs.

Levy should have taken 100 mil for Kane and used it hire an actual good manager and to rebuild his decrepit team.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on September 19, 2021, 03:58:09 PM
Maybe I should have gone with Everton  :cry:
It's not that bad yet :console:

And we lost 3-0 to Villa. In Rafa's defence (:x) Coleman, Pickford, DCL and Richarlison were all out injured and we didn't have enough players to have a full subs bench so....

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 19, 2021, 04:28:47 PM
Levy should have taken 100 mil for Kane and used it hire an actual good manager and to rebuild his decrepit team.
PSG lost - maybe Poch can come home :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 19, 2021, 04:28:47 PM
Just sitting here lolling at Spurs.

Agreed. I know Kane is top scorer last year etc, but he just never seems like a clutch player. He plays way too low, is slow , I just don't like him lol.

Yi are you a Chelsea fan?

Sheilbh what's going on with James Rodriguez? Injured?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on September 19, 2021, 05:27:39 PM
Sheilbh what's going on with James Rodriguez? Injured?
I think Rafa just hates him :ph34r:

I don't think Rafa used him much at Madrid because he is all about a strict structure and everyone doing their job and he thinks James doesn't. Obviously the difference is we are not Madrid and it is crazy that we are not even having our most talented player on the bench. We look better with Gray and Townsend providing a bit of width, good crosses, pace etc - but we're not creative enough to turn up our nose at his talent.

I think the club tried to move him on over the summer because he's on huge wages, but couldn't (see: wages). I think in the last week Rafa was asked about him and basically said "the transfer window in the Middle East is still open".

QuoteAgreed. I know Kane is top scorer last year etc, but he just never seems like a clutch player. He plays way too low, is slow , I just don't like him lol.
I can't stand Kane - but I think that's on the purely subjective/aesthetic grounds that I think he's probably a Tory and he looks like an English junior officer about to go over the top at the Somme. It's just not what I think a footballer should be :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on September 19, 2021, 05:27:39 PM
Yi are you a Chelsea fan?

I act like one because I want to see an American do well at the highest level and so I can take part in conversations.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 19, 2021, 05:16:08 PM

PSG lost - maybe Poch can come home :wub:

Nope, won 2-1 vs Olympitre Lyonnais. Tie in the Champions League against Bruges.

Zoupa

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 19, 2021, 05:39:05 PM
QuoteAgreed. I know Kane is top scorer last year etc, but he just never seems like a clutch player. He plays way too low, is slow , I just don't like him lol.
I can't stand Kane - but I think that's on the purely subjective/aesthetic grounds that I think he's probably a Tory and he looks like an English junior officer about to go over the top at the Somme. It's just not what I think a footballer should be :blush:

Oh I agree 100%. He looks quintessentially English, at least to a Frenchman. His lisp and general speech make him sound dumber than a bag of bricks too...

FunkMonk

I've said this before but as an Arsenal fan I've always felt Kane has a very punchable face  :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 19, 2021, 08:32:00 PM
I've said this before but as an Arsenal fan I've always felt Kane has a very punchable face  :D

Pretty obvious you're not the first person to think this.  :D

The Larch

I think the club tried to move him on over the summer because he's on huge wages, but couldn't (see: wages). I think in the last week Rafa was asked about him and basically said "the transfer window in the Middle East is still open".

He is apparently on his way to Qatar, according to the news this morning.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on September 20, 2021, 06:27:06 AM

He is apparently on his way to Qatar, according to the news this morning.

Nothing reported about his arrival to PSG in the French press.   :o  :P

Admiral Yi

What the hell is the Carabao Cup? :huh:

Duque de Bragança

English League Cup. Open to the first four echelons of English pro football.

One tournament that should be dropped.