News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on August 15, 2021, 09:38:05 PM
Much attention before the game on the Harry Kane situation and his desire to move to ManCity. Just looking at the line-up, it seems like ManCity started the game with about 300 millions sitting on the bench, plus they just signed Grealish for 100... Not sure how Kane would fit into that squad, they certainly don't need him.
Because they can? I think they want someone to replace Aguero for the next 4-5 years. But yeah, it is always slightly sickening watching City.

I couldn't watch the Everton game (though we won - I watched the highlights), which was very weird. We are back to the media blackout and it's very strange after being able to watch all the games you wanted for the last 18 months.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on August 16, 2021, 05:16:30 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 16, 2021, 01:46:22 AM
We won the season opener 4-2, while playing actually well (Liep will be pleased that Braithwaite had a brace). Real Sociedad are a good team, too.

Danish media is already speculating that he might get the number 10 now that he lost the 9. :P

Nah, most probably we're still going to sell him, because right now we're trying to sell everything that's not nailed on, and he's a positive asset.

Gups

This will be my weekly report on Tottenham, my newly adopted club. I still have a soft spot for OM (Olympique de Marseille), but Ligue 1 is kind of a joke now so whatever.

Much attention before the game on the Harry Kane situation and his desire to move to ManCity. Just looking at the line-up, it seems like ManCity started the game with about 300 millions sitting on the bench, plus they just signed Grealish for 100... Not sure how Kane would fit into that squad, they certainly don't need him.

Then again, do the Spurs? That kid Bergwin is a lesser Mbappé (in terms of speed and power), the korean dude (Sun? Sung? Son?) is quite good although he made a few mistakes in the first half. Dele seems to want to play this year, made a few key takeaways.

Spurs started poorly but started being a threat about 20 minutes in. This is City after all, I think they finished above the Spurs by over 20 points last season. Grealish was ok, not worth the price.

There's a kid in defense for the Spurs that played great, Tanganga I think. Manhandled Sterling all game, loved it.

That's it for this week. Come on you Spurs!

I was at this game. Stadium is the best I've been to (and I've been to quite a few), great design, superb acoustics. Both these sides need Kane. The lack of a good striker was really telling in a game that should have had 5 or more goals given the chances created. I like Bergwin a lot and thought he was great yesterday but he's terrible at finishing. Son missed having his partner with him, especially in the first half.  Man City desperately need a top class striker. Neither Torres or Jesus are the answer.

City looked really, really vulnerable to the counter-attack. If they play like that against Man Unt and Pogba and Fernedes are on form, they will get thrashed. Agree that Tangaga looked really good. I'd not heard of him before, except that quite a lot of the Spurs fans had his name on the back of their revolting looking new away short.

Zoupa

Yes agreed. I'm not sure why City was so slooooow and static in their build-up, especially apparent in the 2nd half. Although you can see how De Bruyne is world class. They were instantly more threatening when he came on.

You might be right about Kane and the need of a real striker for Tottenham. I haven't watched enough PL games to know him that well. A strong target man could do wonders. Too bad Lukaku or even Giroud went elsewhere.

celedhring

Josquius

This will be my weekly report on Tottenham, my newly adopted club. I still have a soft spot for OM (Olympique de Marseille), but Ligue 1 is kind of a joke now so whatever.!

Why Spurs?
That most London of London teams....
Surely a Manchester or Liverpool team would be a better calque for Marseille? :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Chelsea is an awesome mix of young talent and veterans, and a great German coach. Choose Chelsea.

Zoupa

Quote from: Tyr on August 17, 2021, 02:48:24 AM
This will be my weekly report on Tottenham, my newly adopted club. I still have a soft spot for OM (Olympique de Marseille), but Ligue 1 is kind of a joke now so whatever.!

Why Spurs?
Surely a Manchester or Liverpool team would be a better calque for Marseille? :hmm:

I hesitated between Spurs and Everton. To be honest it came down to Sissoko and Aurier. My sister lives in Toulouse, so I had a few opportunities to see them play live and they were so impressive.

I don't understand why Everton don't seem interested in Moise Kean btw. That kid is amazing.

Gups

Quote from: Tyr on August 17, 2021, 02:48:24 AM

Why Spurs?

Mystified by this. Why are Spurs more London than any other London team?

In other London footbal news, Gunnersaurus is back with a classy Inbetweeners mash up

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2021/aug/17/david-squires-on-premier-league-opening-weekend

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on August 17, 2021, 03:39:24 AM
I don't understand why Everton don't seem interested in Moise Kean btw. That kid is amazing.
It's so annoying because I agree and think he's a really exciting player.

But basically Everton were trying to sign another player from Juve - and they said no, but Moise Kean is available. So the director of football snapped their hand off, but the manager didn't want Kean and basically didn't play him for six months. Then he got fired and Ancelotti came in and Calvert-Lewin went on a streak of about a goal a game and Richarlison was playing well too.

Understandably Kean wanted to play so he was then loaned for a season to PSG. He wants to move - especially to PSG, apparently PSG are interested in him but will only go for a loan and Everton (not unreasonably I don't think) is saying, you're the richest club in the world so you need to pay instead of another loan. And it's not that expensive I've read £40 million is the asking price - I suspect PSG might have moved on now, but I'm not sure.

I think Kean either moves, or just won't play during the transfer window because I think he is looking to leave.

It's all such a waste though :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Son looked lost playing the point.

Sheilbh

Obviously I'm not a Liverpool fan but this is very good from them. Liverpool away fans were singing about "Chelsea rent boys" at Norwich, because I think they have Billy Gilmour on loan from Chelsea. Liverpool obviously condemned the homophobic chant but have now followed up with this conversation between Klopp and the founder of the Liverpool LGBT+ fan group, Kop Outs:
https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1428310909760462862?s=20

I've said before and it may not be everywhere - it seems to mainly be most pronounced in England and Germany - but I think the last year and particularly Euro 2020 has seen something shift in the men's game in starting to properly confront homophobia. Slightly separately but Everton and Southampton both get their kits from Hummel and this year's World Pride is in Copenhagen so their training gear ahead of the game was specially designed rainbow kit, there's the rainbow laces and armbands. I think Jordan Henderson in particular has been excellent in being vocal as a player about it.

Still a lot to do - and we know there are still racist and anti-semitic chants at games despite years of effort against that. But I think it is really striking and does feel like something has been moving - I'd add the Athletic has probably a role in this as well because they actually cover the problem more than most of the media (I think possibly because they're originally a US/North American sports outlet).
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

All totally besides the point but I've never heard of this Billy Gilmour before. Is he gay? Quite a first there in the premiership if so.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on August 19, 2021, 09:27:23 AM
All totally besides the point but I've never heard of this Billy Gilmour before. Is he gay? Quite a first there in the premiership if so.
No. He's just a Chelsea player.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Zoupa's Spurs report, matchday 2: Tottenham at Wolverhampton.

1st half: Smart play by Dele to get the penalty. Wolves are all over Tottenham. That Wolves player Adama Traore is a fucking beast of a man, and surprisingly fast for his size. Tanganga has his work cut out for him containing him, he's certainly no Sterling like last week. Skipp and Lucas are horrible in midfield. Lucas gave away the ball a zillion times. Wolves are not a good fit for him to play against. I'd much rather see Sissoko on that right side. I'd also replace Skipp with Winks but hey I'm not in charge. I've seen a game and a half out of Skipp and am not impressed at all. Still, Spurs up 1-0 at half time.

2nd half: Wolves still dominate play but really lack a good finisher in the box. Adama less dominant. Overall a better half from Spurs, especially as Wolves can't keep up the level of pressure for 90 minutes. Nuno brings on Lo Celso, Winks and Kane for Lucas, Bergwijn and Sun (wtf). Bergwijn showed his class on the left side with exquisite skill to bypass 2 players, led to two good shots at goal.

We'll take the 3 points but Wolverhampton will feel like they deserved better.

"Oh when the Spurs
Go marching in..."