News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 09, 2021, 07:34:20 PMEdit: But still - from what I've read it's looking like their TV money will be 1/3 of what they'd agreed with Mediapro - plus the impact of covid. Together that is just catastrophic for the league and, I imagine, most clubs will really struggle.

In fact Girondins Bordeaux entered administration at the end of the season because of this.

Grey Fox

La Liga has a new broadcasting partner in Canada. ESPN's Canadian adventure TSN/RDS.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Speaking of Canada I never got to congratulate your national team on its thorough annihilation of all comers in 2022 Qualifiers so far. 6 wins in 6 matches with an aggregate of 31 goals to 1.

Well done. The United States will welcome you warmly in September.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

This Euro has really re-ignited my passion for football. I was traditionally a Marseille fan but Ligue 1 has become too disjointed.

Would you folks say that the EPL is the most balanced of the European Leagues?

Who should I follow? I've always been partial to Tottenham.

Liep

Quote from: Zoupa on July 10, 2021, 02:04:03 AM

Tottenham is a good choice, I've also had a soft spot for them ever since Allan Nielsen played there in the 90's.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

This Euro has really re-ignited my passion for football. I was traditionally a Marseille fan but Ligue 1 has become too disjointed.

Tottenham are lame. Chelsea, on the other hand, are full of young players, play attractive football, with a great nerd-ish manager. They are at the beginnings of a great generation for the team.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on July 09, 2021, 07:45:33 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 09, 2021, 07:34:20 PMEdit: But still - from what I've read it's looking like their TV money will be 1/3 of what they'd agreed with Mediapro - plus the impact of covid. Together that is just catastrophic for the league and, I imagine, most clubs will really struggle.

In fact Girondins Bordeaux entered administration at the end of the season because of this.

Girondins de Bordeaux were already pretty much mismanaged by a US hedge/investment fund looking for a quick buck (?!) before that, the Mediapro deal was the icing on the cake or the last nail on the coffin, depending on your viewpoint.

Sheilbh

Lloris?

I think Tottenham are a good side to support if you're happy with not winning anything but doing pretty well so getting regular European football. After a long time when they flattered to deceive they were actually brilliant under Poch - and not under Mourinho. Not sure what they'll be like under Nuno, but I still think they have the players to be fun.

All of the other big-ish sides are problematic in some way or other and I wouldn't wish the misery of mid-table achieving nothing on anyone - except, maybe, Leeds.

Historically the nastiest and probably most hated team in England but after a long time away from the top they're now back under Bielsa who seems to have formed quite a tight bond with the club, fans, community - I think he did similar at Marweille and there were boardroom issues? They are the most fun team in the league to watch and if you can only watch one game at the weekend, it should be Leeds. Just constant running and pressing and energy and managed chaos - the game against City was exhausting. They might achieve something again like getting into Europe or winning a cup, they probably won't given the power of money - but at the minute they're incredibly fun to watch.

Everyone I know who supports a team hates Leeds as a club, but sort of shamefacedly we all love watching this Leeds and admit it like it's a support group :lol: :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Don't choose Tottenham :bleeding: :bleeding:

I'm an Arsenal fan btw  :P

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

A propos of nothing - I cannot wait for the Arsenal All or Nothing they've announced :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 10, 2021, 08:14:40 AM
A propos of nothing - I cannot wait for the Arsenal All or Nothing they've announced :lol:

Neither can I  :D

The club has been run so terribly for the last few years I'm wondering if we'll see any of that in the documentary. I haven't watched the previous episodes so I'm unsure how revealing it will end up.

Fully expecting something like this happening though: https://twitter.com/MichaelKeshani/status/1413435488468443138?s=20
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Jacob

I'm hoping one of our resident TSN watchers can help me out here....

I subscribed to TSN direct to watch the Euros and I'm thinking of keeping it to keep watching soccer. But I can't seem to find a good overview of what they actually show. Is there a good list or schedule of the games they show? Do they have any programming where they do highlights from specific leagues (and what are they, and where do I find it)?

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on July 11, 2021, 05:58:02 PM
I'm hoping one of our resident TSN watchers can help me out here....

I subscribed to TSN direct to watch the Euros and I'm thinking of keeping it to keep watching soccer. But I can't seem to find a good overview of what they actually show. Is there a good list or schedule of the games they show? Do they have any programming where they do highlights from specific leagues (and what are they, and where do I find it)?

If you're talking football.. as GF said they just bought the rights to La Liga. And they show MLS. Unfortunately that's it. However they have the FIFA World Cup next year.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Thanks.

La Liga = Spain, right?

Whose got the rights for the English, German, and Italian top tiers (I know no one is going to stream the Danish top tier :lol: )?

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on July 11, 2021, 07:21:24 PM
Thanks.

La Liga = Spain, right?

Whose got the rights for the English, German, and Italian top tiers (I know no one is going to stream the Danish top tier :lol: )?

Yes, La Liga is Spain.

English league is DAZN, a streaming service. they also have Champions League.

German is on Sportsnet.

Italian is DAZN. But Telelatino (TLN) is carrying that too.

Sorry, no Danish.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011