News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quite an amazing story took place in the Libertadores Cup last night. Argentina's River Plate played against Colombia's Independiente Santa Fe, but the game was in jeopardy as River Plate had 20 players out with Covid, including its 4 goalkeepers. They requested COMMEBOL for the game to be delayed but were refused, then they asked to be allowed emergency registration for their U18 team GK to be registered for the competition to be able to have a proper goalie for the match and were refused again.

So yesterday they played the game, with just 11 players, an empty bench and an injured 35 yo midfielder deputising as goalie for the match... and they won 2-1.

Edit: And the midfielder turned goalkeeper won the game's MVP award.  :lol:

Tamas

Quite certainly the most successful football-related Hungarian since Puskas (except for that coach in Romania but he wasn't a citizen), 4-times Best Referee and main official of the 1994 WC Final, Sandor Puhl has passed away, aged 65.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I didn't, he robbed us in 1994, scarring an entire generation of Spanish fooball fans  :P

RIP.  :(

Syt

Not sure of the source for this, but this map of stadiums for the Euro 2020 2021, among other things, reunites Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia, gives the Kaliningrad area to Poland and it gave Moldova a bit of the Black Sea?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

It will be a cold day in hell before they recognize Slovenia.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Keep politics out of football!!!!111233
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Island crimea is convenient too.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Someone found the likely original:

BeNeLux area looks ... off? :unsure:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

True. They've filled in the frisian sea and I think knocked down a few polders in West Friesland.
Zealand is not there of course.
I think they've given Belgium and NL some extra lands in the east too?
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

I don't recall Denmark looking quite so much like an upraised fist either.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

Nuno leaving Wolves at the end of the season :o :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 21, 2021, 08:01:59 AM
Nuno leaving Wolves at the end of the season :o :hmm:

Gotta be headed to Spurs I think.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on May 21, 2021, 02:06:33 AM
Someone found the likely original:

BeNeLux area looks ... off? :unsure:

I think that map was only accurate for about two months in 1992.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Sigh. Double standards in emergency loans are Sunderlands undoing. We always get the raw end of everything.
██████
██████
██████