News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Who are you quoting, Sheilbh? Is this the Guardian feed again?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on May 10, 2021, 03:32:36 PM
Can't remember sorry - I think it only applies if they haven't left by the time Serie A is ready to start their new season which is unlikely. But funny nonetheless.

It also makes Spain/La Liga seem even more of an outlier.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 11, 2021, 12:14:26 AM
Quote from: Jacob on May 10, 2021, 03:32:36 PM
Can't remember sorry - I think it only applies if they haven't left by the time Serie A is ready to start their new season which is unlikely. But funny nonetheless.

It also makes Spain/La Liga seem even more of an outlier.

Yeah, things have been pretty quiet on that front over here, as if it was already a closed topic, when the fallout is still unclear. La Liga might be wanting to be quiet during these weeks as we're in the final stretch and all three Spanish teams involved in the Super League are in an incredibly tight race for the title, but once the league is over I expect that the possibility of repercussions will be undoubtly brought up. I mean, Florentino and Tebas (La Liga's president) basically hate each other, and Real Madrid and La Liga take each other to court once or twice every season, so anything is possible.

The last thing I read on the topic over here was a rather whiny press release last week (I think) from the remaining 3 teams involved (Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus), about how intolerable the pressures by UEFA and others they were being subjected to since the Super League was announced were, and how the 9 clubs that left the initiative were "putting themselves in a contradictory position". It's actually quite amazing how adamant they are on following this through.

The Larch

Apparently City's Laporte is going to be given Spanish citizenship by decree tomorrow and might play for Spain at the Euros.  :blink:

Duque de Bragança

So he will have to choose between la Roja and les Bleus this time?

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 11, 2021, 08:26:26 AM
So he will have to choose between la Roja and les Bleus this time?

The whole thing is specifically done so he'll be eligible for Spain for the Euros, so he must have chosen already.

celedhring

I know France has an embarassment of riches, but I'm surprised that Laporte has never been called up.

EDIT: reading his wikipedia entry it seems he's been called up twice but in the first he wasn't selected to play, and in the second he had to pull out because of injury.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on May 11, 2021, 09:25:20 AM
I know France has an embarassment of riches, but I'm surprised that Laporte has never been called up.

EDIT: reading his wikipedia entry it seems he's been called up twice but in the first he wasn't selected to play, and in the second he had to pull out because of injury.

And the second time he was called up was because he had actually started the process to get Spanish citizenship, after Lopetegui became the coach for the national team and stated that he'd like him to play for Spain, so France called him up and he stopped the process.

Josquius

Reading up on him I do wonder if there's ever been an attempt at separate catalan and basque national teams?
Outside of those amateur unrecognised nation contests of course.
Seems it'd make for a smaller step than actual independence and if its good enough for the uk (yeah yeah history) then why not.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on May 11, 2021, 09:46:16 AM
Reading up on him I do wonder if there's ever been an attempt at separate catalan and basque national teams?
Seems it'd make for a smaller step than actual independence and if its good enough for the uk (yeah yeah history) then why not.

Constantly, but they're never approved.

celedhring

Heh, I rather have a team that can actually win stuff and compete than 3 mini-teams.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on May 11, 2021, 09:46:16 AM
I have read talk of replacing the League Cup with a British Cup which I think would be a good idea. Though I imagine English clubs are still super-wary of getting anywhere near the sectarianism of the Old Firm.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

So what does everybody think of our new field? Pretty nice right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

The Larch

Looks cute, what's the capacity?