And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

Three weeks, got it.

Question: if a dude who's offside gets passed the ball, and instead of shooting or passing forward, he passes back to another dude is on *on* side, is that still offside?

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 08, 2021, 04:33:20 PM
:w00t:

When is the CL final?

May 29th, it's traditionally the last game in every season.

There's a bit of an issue because the game is expected to be played in Istanbul, but Turkey is not in the list of countries that the UK has given the green light for travel yet, so fans will be subjected to travel restrictions. The idea of playing the game in England (Birmingham was offered as a neutral venue) was floated, but AFAIK it is still expected to take place in Turkey.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 08, 2021, 04:49:16 PM
Three weeks, got it.

Question: if a dude who's offside gets passed the ball, and instead of shooting or passing forward, he passes back to another dude is on *on* side, is that still offside?

As soon as an offside player interacts with the ball then the play is stopped.

Admiral Yi

Except when he's running unimpeded at the goal. I still don't get that.   :hmm:

Why wait to make the off side call?  I understand the advantage no-call but this makes no sense to me.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 08, 2021, 04:57:21 PM

Uhm, no?

Why wait to make the off side call?  I understand the advantage no-call but this makes no sense to me.

This is not how it used to be but it's been deemed it help keeps the game flow better. e.g. a guy is offside and being passed to, but actually doesn't connect with the ball and the goalkeeper retrieves it - no harm done with the offside so the game isn't stopped.

Admiral Yi

Um no, yes here's why they do that?  :D

The Larch

Quote from: Jacob on May 07, 2021, 05:38:54 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 07, 2021, 03:45:43 PM
On a separate note, the Super League still lingers around. It seems that UEFA is planning hefty fines for the promoters, while "forgiving" those clubs that repented. Numbers being quoted mention a possible 100 million € fine for Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus and a collective 15 million € fine for the other 9 teams.

That seems like non-trivial consequences. I guess super league v2 needs a plan where they can go completely without UEFA and the national leagues, whenever that is.

It seems it might be even tougher. It is being rumoured that UEFA will propose punishing the 3 remaining promoters (Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus) with aa additional 2 year CL ban on top of the 100 million € fine.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on May 08, 2021, 04:51:11 PM
There's a bit of an issue because the game is expected to be played in Istanbul, but Turkey is not in the list of countries that the UK has given the green light for travel yet, so fans will be subjected to travel restrictions. The idea of playing the game in England (Birmingham was offered as a neutral venue) was floated, but AFAIK it is still expected to take place in Turkey.
It's a little worse than that. Turkey is on the red list which means fans will only be allowed back in the country if they're citizens or have residency, they'll need to quarantine in one of the government managed hotels when they return for 11 nights (at a cost of £1,750). It's not even the quarantine at home option.

Also it's not like last year where the government basically said travel is allowed if you want to take the risk of restrictions when you come back. This time they're saying you should not travel for leisure to anywhere but the green list.

QuoteIt seems it might be even tougher. It is being rumoured that UEFA will propose punishing the 3 remaining promoters (Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus) with aa additional 2 year CL ban on top of the 100 million € fine.
I feel like even the fine for Real Madrid and Barcelona will outweigh the benefits of remaining technically "in" the Super League to get potential penalty payments from the other 9.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

In more substantial hits - and again I imagine this wouldn't be an issue if opposition was limited to "legacy fans":
QuoteManchester United lose £200m training kit deal over fans' anti-Glazers campaign
    The Hut Group pulls out of contract starting in July, sources say
    Fans are campaigning for boycott of club's commercial partners

Exclusive by Jamie Jackson
@JamieJackson___
Sat 8 May 2021 21.48 BST

Manchester United have missed out on a proposed new training kit deal worth £200m over 10 years after the Manchester-based company The Hut Group had concerns about the supporters' campaign to boycott the club's commercial partners in protest at the Glazers' ownership, the Observer understands.

Richard Arnold, United's group managing director, was told on Friday that THG had pulled out of a contract which was due to start on 1 July.

The branding of Myprotein, a Cheshire firm owned by THG, was due to appear on United's training kit and replace the branding of AON, sponsors of the club's Carrington training centre.

Last Sunday's supporter protest against the Glazers outside Old Trafford led to United's game with Liverpool being postponed until the coming Thursday. THG, it is understood, was taken aback by the subsequent social media and online backlash against United's partners.

An anonymous United fans group with the hashtag NOTAPENNYMORE launched an online campaign to boycott the club's major partners, which include Adidas, TAG Heuer and Cadbury, and wrote an open letter to them vowing to target their products.

It is understood THG, a multibillion pound company with offices near Manchester Airport, was concerned that as a local business it would be targeted by disaffected fans in Greater Manchester.

AON's agreement expires on 30 June, which means United may struggle to strike a new deal of similar value to that proposed with THG.

The Glazers' move to join the now defunct European Super League heightened the supporter opposition towards the American family. There was also some disillusionment and embarrassment within the club at senior level about how the ESL breakaway was presented.

Both THG and United declined to comment, with those familiar with the deal at Old Trafford confirming there are no ongoing talks.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 08, 2021, 06:52:42 PM
I feel like even the fine for Real Madrid and Barcelona will outweigh the benefits of remaining technically "in" the Super League to get potential penalty payments from the other 9.

Do we know what the scale is for those potential penalty payments?

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 08, 2021, 04:57:21 PM

They tend to call offsides these days after the fact, in case Video Review rules the officials got it wrong. So, in this case, if a guy in an offside position receives the ball and continues towards the goal, the ref, or linesman, won't raise his flag until the play is dead.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on May 09, 2021, 07:11:47 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 08, 2021, 06:52:42 PM

Do we know what the scale is for those potential penalty payments?
Depending on who you listen to under €10 million to €150 million :lol:

But I've also read there's a clause that basically by June or July this year if 75% of the SL decide not to go ahead it's cancelled without any penalty clause - so who knows :hmm:

My guess would be it's on the lower end of the scale given that the project never actually launched.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

QuoteJuventus will be kicked out of Serie A if they do not withdraw from the 'European Super League'
:lol: :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!