News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

So once this moral outrage will be settled, perhaps the world can turn this energy toward FIFA and the Qatar world cup where more than 6000 workers have died building the stuff we'll be watching on the telly while eating takeaway?

celedhring

Always willing to be the odd man out, the Catalan government has defended the right of the breakaway clubs to form their own competition  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2021, 07:57:51 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 20, 2021, 07:54:27 AM
If so, I better never hear anything bad about the MLS level of play ever again.
I think the MLS is pretty good now, no?

Still below Mx Liga though, judging by the Champions League (CONCACAF).

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on April 20, 2021, 07:58:00 AM
So once this moral outrage will be settled, perhaps the world can turn this energy toward FIFA and the Qatar world cup where more than 6000 workers have died building the stuff we'll be watching on the telly while eating takeaway?
Agreed. I have zero interest in watching the World Cup - and I think it's a disgrace that this is another thing that's now on players to decide if they want to participate or not or wear shirts like the Norwegian team did. When the authorities and the national teams should be protecting those players from these choice and not allowing it to happen.

But I wouldn't mistake opposition to this for love of FIFA. It just so happens that these teams have been so greedy and self-interested that they've somehow conspired to make PSG (:blink:), UEFA and FIFA (:blink: :blink: :blink:) the good guys :lol:

QuoteAlways willing to be the odd man out, the Catalan government has defended the right of the breakaway clubs to form their own competition  :lol:
:lol: Admirable.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 20, 2021, 08:08:08 AM
Still below Mx Liga though, judging by the Champions League (CONCACAF).
I think that's fair, but I think the Mexican League still has more money than MLS so it's only to be expected and I've really enjoyed the Mexican games I've watched - I don't think it's shown in the UK which is a shame.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Hasn't FIFA been pushing for Liga MX and MLS to merge or form their own Super League recently ? :lol:

But yeah, when people are praising FIFA and UEFA over you then you know you've gone way too far.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2021, 08:10:15 AM
QuoteAlways willing to be the odd man out, the Catalan government has defended the right of the breakaway clubs to form their own competition  :lol:

Well, they *do* have a thing for unilateral secession.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on April 20, 2021, 08:31:49 AM

The ruling coalition can survive a failed independence bid and 4 years of very public infighting and political failure, but publicly opposing Barça? That would be the death of them. And I'm not even joking  :lol:
What's the fan mood with Barcelona? And is it always the way or could a government position themselves against an unpopular Barca board (difficult as it is to imagine :P)?

Edit: I find the team owners v literally everyone dynamic really interesting - and indicative of how arrogant they've been in not even informing players/managers and just letting them take questions on it. Apparently Harry Maguire "confronted" Ed Woodward about the plan yesterday, Jordan Henderson is organising a group call of Premier League captains from all clubs tomorrow, Guardiola and Klopp have been relatively forthright - Marcas Rashford (:wub:) who is only 23 so has his career ahead of him has made his view on this clear by posting a "football is nothing without the fans" image.

The mood is febrile at the minute but it feels like by doing this the six English clubs may accidentally have provoked government into basically giving fans a veto right and into their players organising like a union :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2021, 08:34:28 AM

The ruling coalition can survive a failed independence bid and 4 years of very public infighting and political failure, but publicly opposing Barça? That would be the death of them. And I'm not even joking  :lol:
What's the fan mood with Barcelona? And is it always the way or could a government position themselves against an unpopular Barca board (difficult as it is to imagine :P)?

Most Barça fans I know are embarrassed by the idea. Spanish media in general are going through the motions though, certainly not the levels of outrage seen in England. Other teams' fans (the 2 or 3 of them in the whole country) are livid though. Pretty much begging us to fuck off and never return, which is fair enough.

The nadir of Barça - Catalan government relations was when the board refused to boycott a home game on the day of the independence referendum. And even then they handled the matter with kids' gloves.

Duque de Bragança

Well, they *do* have a thing for unilateral secession.  :P

In the French press, there has been talk of a Guerre de sécession du football européen. Guerre de Sécession being the ACW in French.  :P

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2021, 07:57:31 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2021, 07:50:39 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 20, 2021, 07:45:28 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2021, 06:04:53 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 20, 2021, 05:58:02 AM
Bunch of chokers. Get a chance to change European soccer for the better & choke on the start line.

If you think that'd be a change for the better...  :rolleyes:

Yes. I am always amazed how FIFA lets the top of Association Football be so diluted.

Others would consider that to be something favourable rather than a handicap.

What does that have to do with anything?

You tell me some think it's good that the top level of the sports dilute it's talent pool! While the MLS gets laughed at for not being great enough!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 20, 2021, 08:27:38 AM
Hasn't FIFA been pushing for Liga MX and MLS to merge or form their own Super League recently ? :lol:

But yeah, when people are praising FIFA and UEFA over you then you know you've gone way too far.

Yes but FIFA's aim seems to force MLS to get out of the summer schedule more than creating a super american league.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Amazon Prime issued a statement disassociating themselves from this project and saying they weren't involved in discussions about it. Adding broadcasters (who will generate the revenue JP Morgan are projecting :blink:) to the list of unconsulted stakeholders.

It's crazy.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 20, 2021, 09:25:36 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2021, 07:57:31 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2021, 07:50:39 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 20, 2021, 07:45:28 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2021, 06:04:53 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 20, 2021, 05:58:02 AM
Bunch of chokers. Get a chance to change European soccer for the better & choke on the start line.

If you think that'd be a change for the better...  :rolleyes:

Yes. I am always amazed how FIFA lets the top of Association Football be so diluted.

Others would consider that to be something favourable rather than a handicap.

What does that have to do with anything?

You tell me some think it's good that the top level of the sports dilute it's talent pool! While the MLS gets laughed at for not being great enough!

I sincerely have no idea about how your thought process goes in this issue.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2021, 09:28:09 AM
Amazon Prime issued a statement disassociating themselves from this project and saying they weren't involved in discussions about it. Adding broadcasters (who will generate the revenue JP Morgan are projecting :blink:) to the list of unconsulted stakeholders.

It's crazy.

Some of these owners (the Glazers and Stan Kroenke) are utterly clueless and disconnected. Amazing but not surprising.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.