News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

City and/or Chelsea pulling out also makes sense if the risk of being disqualified from this year's Champions League is real.

celedhring

So, if we created a Languish SuperLeague, who would be in it?

Sheilbh

Things definitely falling apart in England :lol:

PM meeting with UEFA, the FA and fan groups now - the Premier League are holding a meeting now too.

Separately one journalist quoting a source that one of the big clubs is on the verge of pulling out and accusing Liverpool and United of lying to them and "fucking up" :lol:

The one positive of this whole story is the popcorn of the collapse will be as fun as the popcorn of the rest of it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on April 20, 2021, 05:45:06 AM

Do the British get 6 spots for no reason? :bowler:  :P

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2021, 05:51:02 AM
Things definitely falling apart in England :lol:

PM meeting with UEFA, the FA and fan groups now - the Premier League are holding a meeting now too.

Separately one journalist quoting a source that one of the big clubs is on the verge of pulling out and accusing Liverpool and United of lying to them and "fucking up" :lol:

The one positive of this whole story is the popcorn of the collapse will be as fun as the popcorn of the rest of it.

:yes:

Blame the Americans!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Bunch of chokers. Get a chance to change European soccer for the better & choke on the start line.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Btw, another thing that Florentino mentioned during last night's interview that was not covered in the article I quoted was the possibility of making games shorter, as he thinks that modern audiences are not keen to watch 90 minutes games. He even said that he himself can't really stand many matches.

This kind of stuff sort of reinforces my belief that the guy doesn't really like football at all to begin with, he just wants a tool to be rich and powerful.

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on April 20, 2021, 05:54:54 AM

Do the British get 6 spots for no reason? :bowler:  :P

I suppose North-American lawyers are the Languish equivalent of the PL.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 20, 2021, 05:58:02 AM
Bunch of chokers. Get a chance to change European soccer for the better & choke on the start line.

If you think that'd be a change for the better...  :rolleyes:

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2021, 06:00:59 AM
Btw, another thing that Florentino mentioned during last night's interview that was not covered in the article I quoted was the possibility of making games shorter, as he thinks that modern audiences are not keen to watch 90 minutes games. He even said that he himself can't really stand many matches.

This kind of stuff sort of reinforces my belief that the guy doesn't really like football at all to begin with, he just wants a tool to be rich and powerful.
I've heard this a lot from Agnelli as well and that football executives in general are panicked about younger viewers not watching (perhaps because they can't afford subscriptions to sporting channels :hmm:) and instead preferring to watch clips etc. I think Agnelli suggested a different package where you could just watch the last 15 minutes of a game :blink:

I think it's Jonathan Liew's article - only someone who doesn't really like football would come up with this as a solution.

There's some truth to it about streaming and social media clips etc. But it feels very much like they're spitballing ideas and accidentally launched a breakaway league. And if I ever feel imposter syndrome again I'll think of this moment and the fact that apparently no-one thought to hire a PR firm.

Meanwhile David Squires is every bit as good as I'd hoped:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2021/apr/20/david-squires-on-the-plans-for-a-european-super-league
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2021, 06:04:53 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 20, 2021, 05:58:02 AM

If you think that'd be a change for the better...  :rolleyes:

Worst case scenario that it will force the other leagues to adapt and become more interesting. This outrage is silly. If it's a boring format nobody will bother and the clubs will Canossa themselves back under UEFA's wings. If it is a good format, we will have more entertaining European club competitions. Can't see how a fan can lose out.

Duque de Bragança

Tamas.  :D

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 19, 2021, 06:40:09 PM
As a garbage American Arsenal fan who is responsible for what is transpiring, someone tell me what club I should support now that my horribly-run, has-been club has finally jumped the shark.

Nottingham Forest. Two C1s, that's more than Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City or Tottenham.  :P

Duque de Bragança

4 20-minutes periods? 11 substitutions while we are it. Stoppage time not included so the clock stops and goes as in basket-ball. :P

As for the games shorter, it's a variant of the youth can't follow "long" 90 minutes games, with their short attention spans, ©Agnelli. Both are already rich and powerful, but obviously never enough, in their own opinions.

Josephus

That's the thing. He's an idiot. A soccer game is actually shorter in real time than most, if not all, major American sports. I mean, man, a baseball game never ends. A hockey (ice) game may be sixty minutes but takes two and a half hours to play.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Other clubs are already having fun with a Premier League where these teams are expelled :lol:
QuoteSouthampton FC
@SouthamptonFC
On behalf of the 2014/15 champions, we would like to extend our congratulations to you 🤝
QuoteWolves
@Wolves
It's probably too late for a parade
Let's bomb Russia!