News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on April 19, 2021, 09:17:36 AM
They can buy out their contracts, it's just very rarely done because of what you say - a gentleman's agreement among clubs not to upset the apple cart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webster_ruling

What's the difference between a gentleman's agreement and collusion in this case?

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on April 19, 2021, 10:11:20 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 19, 2021, 09:17:36 AM
They can buy out their contracts, it's just very rarely done because of what you say - a gentleman's agreement among clubs not to upset the apple cart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webster_ruling

What's the difference between a gentleman's agreement and collusion in this case?

Whether you have the power and influence to avoid being prosecuted for it.

Sheilbh

One thought given that I understand football executives are very enamoured of the NBA/player-fans - it's kind of extraordinary that they've launched this with the very real possibility that they won't have Neymar, Mbappe or Haaland playing in the league.

I can't see PSG joining this season given that Bein Sports has paid a lot of money for Champions League rights around the world and Qatar will want to stay on the good side of the football associations. Haaland might move this summer - I would have guessed it was likely until now. But this is what I mean, if Norway qualify this winter may be his only chance to play in a World Cup and I don't know if you'd make the mega-bucks move to City or Chelsea now or hold off for one season? :hmm:

Meanwhile from a Sky reporter:
QuoteKaveh Solhekol
@SkyKaveh
Some owners of breakaway clubs "secretly delighted" if their players are banned from playing for their countries. They get "very little financial reward for releasing players and there's always the risk of injury"
:lol: I mean I never want Everton players to play internationals because they'll either get injured or perform well enough that we inevitably lose them - but I get that for a lot of the players it really matters.

Edit:
QuoteWhat's the difference between a gentleman's agreement and collusion in this case?
In Europe, competition regulators have looked the other way from a lot of oddities in football. That might end.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

I guess I can look forward to watching Arsenal home ESL games in DC.

Real Madrid home games in LA and Houston. Manchester United home games in Beijing and Shanghai. Interesting times.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

BTW I give you one reason why perhaps the English should dial down the morale outrage:

Six Nations.

The Larch

UEFA apparently wants to kick out Real Madrid, Man City and Chelsea from this year's Champions League.  :ph34r:

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on April 19, 2021, 11:32:36 AM
BTW I give you one reason why perhaps the English should dial down the morale outrage:

Six Nations.

What does that have to do with anything?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2021, 07:58:21 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 19, 2021, 07:52:35 AM
Ceferin, UEFA's president, has just stated that players taking part in the ESL would not be allowed to play for their national teams.
Unrelated to this but Ander Herrera has come out against this which I think is the first statement by a current player - and good to see, always like him :)

PSG player, a club owned by Qatar (hello World Cup 2022 ), a country owning Beinsports which has currently a lot contracts with UEFA and FIFA.

Maybe after 2022.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on April 19, 2021, 08:03:03 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 19, 2021, 08:00:12 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2021, 07:55:45 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 19, 2021, 07:46:27 AM
Most of the things you guys are listing just sounds like rallying against continued growth and modernisation of a form of entertainment.
If you can't be romantic and misty-eyed about sport, what's the point :P

You're talking with a Chelsea supporter, after all.  :P

2004 called, they want their shtick back :P

Shtick back? All right, Chel$ky then.  :P

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on April 19, 2021, 08:03:03 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 19, 2021, 08:00:12 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2021, 07:55:45 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 19, 2021, 07:46:27 AM
Most of the things you guys are listing just sounds like rallying against continued growth and modernisation of a form of entertainment.
If you can't be romantic and misty-eyed about sport, what's the point :P

You're talking with a Chelsea supporter, after all.  :P

2004 called, they want their shtick back :P

It still applies, it will always apply.  :P

Jacob

Six Nations.

That's nonsense.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2021, 08:05:51 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 19, 2021, 07:58:38 AM
Players in ESL:
Flipside - if you took away players from the ESL clubs. Who would in a World Cup or the Euros? :hmm: Given the German clubs' stance Germany would probably do very well even given their current issues. Off the top of my head France, England and maybe Brazil would be pretty badly hurt.

I'm also not sure that players would choose a new competition with no heritage v the Euros or World Cup. It might depend on country as well but there are definitely players and countries where playing for the national team is the biggest thing.

Add Portugal to your list, 7 players:

Ruben Dias, João Cancelo, Cedric Soares, Bernardo Silva, Bruno Fernandes, CR7, Diogo Jota et João Felix.

Thinking a bit more about it:

France, 14:

Lloris, Varane, Lenglet, Zouma, Digne, Mendy, Pogba, Ndombele, Rabiot, Sissoko, Lemar, Griezman, Giroud, Dembele and Martial.

Germany, 6:

Ter Stegen, Leno, Rudiger, Havertz, Gundogan et Werner

Spain, 12 of which 8 have most selections:

Ramos, Busquets, Alba, Koke, De Gea, Thiago, Morata and Rodri. (all right Spain can survive without De Gea  :P)

Italy, 8

England, 13 out of 24, including Kane, Foden, Mount and Stones.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Jacob on April 19, 2021, 11:48:58 AM

Six Nations.

That's nonsense.

Model of the ESL is the NBA and the like, without salary caps and draft, not to mention a completely different sport culture.

In rugby union, Six Nations was opened to Italy to recognize its improving status and keep on improving, so yes I don't see the point as well. Plus national vs club sport.

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2021, 10:22:58 AM
Meanwhile from a Sky reporter:
QuoteKaveh Solhekol
@SkyKaveh
Some owners of breakaway clubs "secretly delighted" if their players are banned from playing for their countries. They get "very little financial reward for releasing players and there's always the risk of injury"
:lol: I mean I never want Everton players to play internationals because they'll either get injured or perform well enough that we inevitably lose them - but I get that for a lot of the players it really matters.

If you're excited about moving towards "fans of players" rather than "fans of teams" you'll be foregoing opportunities to increase player profiles if they can't compete in the World Cup and Euros.

celedhring

I appreciate Tamas' great performance playing the villain in the last few pages. He's probably the best suited to it as a Chelsea fan born abroad :P