News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Was watching Malta v Russia yesterday and Malta has a couple players named Mbonga. I'm thinking they're ringers. :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2021, 02:31:40 PM
Hungary v Poland - the Tamas derby :o :ph34r:

No, that would be Hungary v Romania.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Last upset:

Spain 1 Greece 1

A very limited Greek side manages to tie in Granada. Very nice goal by Morata, but Greece tied on a questionable penalty. No attack in the penalty was fouled, but a Greek player was hit after a save.
Fun fact: Greece has a naturalised Portuguese-origin player: Καρλος Ζεκα (Carlos Zeca).

80% ball possession for Spain vs 20% for Greece, more than 600 passes of course, as well.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2021, 02:31:40 PM
Hungary v Poland - the Tamas derby :o :ph34r:

It was quite the game, too.  :D Hungary went ahead 2-0, then probably woke up to the fact that this is ridiculous, and conceded two goals in a space of a single minute. Ended up 3-3.

celedhring

I would approve of Hungary being good at football again, the Magical Magyars is one of my favorite historical sides. Many of them came to play in Spain (and several for FC Barcelona) after 1956.

Before Messi, Barça's biggest legend was László Kubala, an Hungarian.

The Larch

Tifo's video on Wenger's proposal for changing the offside rule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7woFOryHPQ

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on March 26, 2021, 07:44:33 AM
Tifo's video on Wenger's proposal for changing the offside rule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7woFOryHPQ

I fail to see how this change would reduce VAR stoppages. Seems to me you'd now be spending a lot of time checking whether a body part of the attacker is in line with the defender, instead of if any is offside.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on March 26, 2021, 09:25:11 AM
I fail to see how this change would reduce VAR stoppages. Seems to me you'd now be spending a lot of time checking whether a body part of the attacker is in line with the defender, instead of if any is offside.

Agree.  You'd just be moving the crosshairs to the back of the attacker.

Josquius

These small distances can make all the difference. You have a better chance of running past someone if you start almost behind him rather than almost in front of him.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

oooh....Malta get an away point. World Cup baby.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on March 27, 2021, 09:06:26 PM

Faroe Islands too. And Luxembourg won against Ireland. Is this pointing towards us losing to Moldova at home?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on March 28, 2021, 01:34:35 AM

Faroe Islands too. And Luxembourg won against Ireland. Is this pointing towards us losing to Moldova at home?

:hmm:
Civis Romanus Sum

Duque de Bragança

After leading by 2-0 vs Slovakia.  :hmm:

If you needed some controversy yesterday, Serbia-Portugal was the place to be with the referee denying unfairly an extra time winning goal to Ronaldo, no less. Referee was probably far but the assistant or linesmen probably saw it.

Serbia 2 Portugal 2

Decent, under control first half-time by Portugal but Serbia woke up right after the beginning with the Portuguese changing too late his team to deal with the tactical changes on the Serbian side (hello Mitrovic). Given the game, a tie does not seem unfair, but is a bit of a disappointment for Portugal, specially after leading 2-0 thanks to a lethal Jota.

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on March 28, 2021, 06:13:22 AM
Quote from: Liep on March 28, 2021, 01:34:35 AM

:hmm:

Indeed, 30 minutes in and we're up 3-0.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

The national team is protesting Qatar tonight by playing in new jerseys that somehow supports migrant workers.