News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

I'm imagining Mormon fans of Real Salt Lake on an away trip to Chivas  :nelson:  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2021, 12:11:23 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2021, 12:06:37 PM
Are Mexican fans still nasty? It has been a while since I've heard about battery throwing.
Latin American fans are intense :lol:

No kiddding.  :ph34r:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_War

:P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 22, 2021, 12:24:05 PM
I'm imagining Mormon fans of Real Salt Lake on an away trip to Chivas  :nelson:  :lol:

The opposite would be fun as well, with hinterlandish places discovering what is football fervour.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on March 22, 2021, 12:08:09 PM

NFL doesn't have a long run though - there's only 16 games.

The long run I was talking about was 1920 until 1933 the team with the best record was the NFL champion. There was no playoff or proto-Super Bowl at all. I don't know if the tie breakers back then factored in points scored.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

The Spanish FA is always finding new ways of ruining Spanish Football.

Maladict

Lots of discussion about whether the Dutch FA or the players should boycott the Qatar WC.
Looks like they decided to take the diplomatic way out by getting clobbered by Turkey.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maladict on March 24, 2021, 01:47:38 PM
Lots of discussion about whether the Dutch FA or the players should boycott the Qatar WC.
Looks like they decided to take the diplomatic way out by getting clobbered by Turkey.

:D

Liep

Quote from: Maladict on March 24, 2021, 01:47:38 PM

:D

Hadn't realized the started qualifications already.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Sorry for you, Liep, but some upsets already:

Turkey 4 Netherlands 2

De Boer as a coach may prevent the Netherlands form qualifying it seems. However, Turkey has a history of failing against smaller teams after beating the strong one.

France 1 Ukraine 1

This was no C(ovid)-team Ukraine so it was more difficult. Add in a relative lack of efficiency, some good defending by the Ukrainian side, an own goal, et voilà !

Slovenia 1 Croatia 0

Ex-yugo derby.  :P Croatia is in transition from the aged 2018 team and Slovenia can be pesky. Early goal, but no effective reaction by Croatia in the next 75 minutes.

Portugal 1 Azerbaijan 0

Home game of Portugal in Turin, Juventus stadium, due to Covid restrictions.

Lots of new or unusual players (5-6) but the coach still does not what to do with so many top mid-fielders. Azeris were really dominated in the first half but a Selecção had to get an goal from them to score (own goal). André Silva, for his return to the squad, is a far cry from his scoring stats in Buli. Ronaldo is no longer a winger, so a whole flank was left underused.
Languish fans of Pepe will be sad to know he was injured so he could not play. Same goes for the usual goalkeeper, Rui Patrício.
Azerbaijan woke up in the second half, not just the goalkeeper (very good then) and could have even scored. Good entry by João Félix though. Fernandes cannot say the same unfortunately. Bernardo was ok but not great. Wolverhampton midfield line has not impressed.

In the Norway game, Dolph Lungren did not manage to score against the Rock.
Still 3-0, however.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Hungary v Poland - the Tamas derby :o :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

There are as many players currently playing for Man City in the Spain starting XI as there are R. Madrid + Barcelona + Atlético. All hail our Premier League overlords.

Admiral Yi

Are there many/any Brits playing on the Continent?

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2021, 03:54:39 PM

McManaman was decent in Real iirc. And Ashley Young is doing pretty good in Inter right now.

But it's not really something they do I think.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2021, 03:54:39 PM
The Bundesliga's got very good value from some young English players in recent years - but mainly on loan (Ademola Lookman and Jonjoe Kenny spring to mind). The two big exceptions are Jadon Sancho and Jude Bellingham who both play for Dortmund. But for young players the Bundesliga is a top destination for a loan or if they're not getting played because the impression here is that Germany probably has best coaches in Europe right now, especially for young players.

Also Kieran Tripper at Atletico Madrid. Also Aaron Ramsey (Welsh) at Juve. Off the top of my head anyway.
Let's bomb Russia!