And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2021, 04:36:58 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 24, 2021, 06:15:26 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 24, 2021, 06:07:22 PMYeah, so including all that especially 700 seems low for a country as big as Spain.

I think you vastly overestimate the amount of fatal accidents that take place annually. IIRC it was 3 thousand and a few hundred in the whole EU in the last year there were stats for.
Yeah it's quite low in the UK too - 111 in 2019/20.
https://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/fatals.htm

Looks like it peaked in the late 80s and has declined hugely since then. It's like health and safety laws actually serve a purpose rather than just being the butt of the joke.

Same here, peak was in 89 and except for a small spike in the mid 90s and another slow increase since 2013 until now they have gone down a lot since then.

Quote from: Tyr on February 25, 2021, 05:27:07 AM
Maybe I'm being racist and assuming Spaniards  drive like Italians? :hmm:

Googling I find 1,700 road deaths in a year in the UK. Interesting very few of them happen on the commute.

Traffic related deaths in Spain have gone down dramatically in the last couple of decades as well. In 1990 5.736 people died in traffic accidents, in 2020 it was 870.

Threviel

Seems like a lot of the extreme differences can be attributed to differences in definition of work related deaths. Eurostat uses the same definition and this nice page https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Accidents_at_work_statistics says that Spain is a bit worse than the EU average, but it is not quite the death camp described above. 323 dead a year compared to Sweden's 50 and Netherlands 45.

I imagine that Lux is explained by all manual labourers being foreigners and noone cares.

Richard Hakluyt

That figure for Spain's road deaths looks too low to be likely. Reuters say that there was a decline of 870 deaths and that was 21% down on the previous year, which implies about 3,300 road deaths.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-spain-caraccidents/pandemic-curbs-slash-spains-traffic-deaths-by-21-in-2020-to-lowest-on-record-idUKL8N2JI2ZQ?edition-redirect=uk

I tried to find the total figure for 2020 but couldn't; maybe a Spanish speaker would have better luck.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 25, 2021, 07:39:09 AM
Traffic related deaths in Spain have gone down dramatically in the last couple of decades as well. In 1990 5.736 people died in traffic accidents, in 2020 it was 870.
Yeah - huge fall in the UK too. I looked it up on Wiki and I had no idea how steep the fall is. Over 5,000 deaths in 1990 to about 1,700 in 2019.

I suspect 2020 will be a weird year because of lockdowns everywhere, fewer people on the road etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 25, 2021, 07:53:17 AM
That figure for Spain's road deaths looks too low to be likely. Reuters say that there was a decline of 870 deaths and that was 21% down on the previous year, which implies about 3,300 road deaths.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-spain-caraccidents/pandemic-curbs-slash-spains-traffic-deaths-by-21-in-2020-to-lowest-on-record-idUKL8N2JI2ZQ?edition-redirect=uk

I tried to find the total figure for 2020 but couldn't; maybe a Spanish speaker would have better luck.

Just checked the official government figure and in 2019 it was 1,098 road deaths, and 870 in 2020. However, that doesn't include deaths on urban streets.

Honestly I would have expected the pandemic to have a bigger effect, although it's true that it's been reported that people are now using their cars more for fear of contagion while riding a train/bus.

Richard Hakluyt

Very confusing reporting by Reuters there  :mad:

But what a fantastic improvement for road safety in Spain  :cool:

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 25, 2021, 09:10:57 AM
Very confusing reporting by Reuters there  :mad:

But what a fantastic improvement for road safety in Spain  :cool:

What difference swapping "fell by" to "fell to" makes.  :lol:

And yes, the improvement is very significative. Road accidents used to be the bane of the country back in the day, and after years and years of agressive campaigining to change the driving culture, significant improvements in road infrastructure and changes in policing and regulation definitely changed things for the much better.

celedhring

Yeah, also a lot of work in schools. I was already getting lectures on safe driving years before I could even actually get a license...

celedhring

Bartomeu has been arrested, not for his transfer policy - as he should - but for his involvement in hiring a consultancy agency (essentially a troll farm) with the club's money to improve his public standing, smearing Barça players and the opposition.

We've become such a farce  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 01, 2021, 05:55:47 AM
Bartomeu has been arrested, not for his transfer policy - as he should - but for his involvement in hiring a consultancy agency (essentially a troll farm) with the club's money to improve his public standing, smearing Barça players and the opposition.

We've become such a farce  :lol:
Chaos :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Well, it's not as if this is a first for Barcelona.  :P

celedhring

He'd be the first one that gets jailed/executed for club business though.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

He'll run his local prison's football club into the ground too
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.