News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Wait a minute, 700 dead spaniards a year in work related accidents? That's insane.

The Larch

Quote from: Threviel on February 23, 2021, 03:18:24 PM
Wait a minute, 700 dead spaniards a year in work related accidents? That's insane.

When construction is such a big deal for a country's economy, it does not seem that strange. Also, sad to say, but many of those casualties are most probably not Spaniards, as inmigrant workers do many of the most terrible jobs and are thus, assumedly, a relevant % of the casualties.

And it's gone down considerably. It was almost 2.000 people in 1990.

Liep

That Braithwaite assist was very Barca-esque.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Define work related accident I guess.
It seems a bit on the low side to me tbh when you consider all the possible flukes with falling off ladders, all the road traffic accidents drivers get into, etc...
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on February 24, 2021, 05:27:14 PM
Define work related accident I guess.
It seems a bit on the low side to me tbh when you consider all the possible flukes with falling off ladders, all the road traffic accidents drivers get into, etc...

Does it really need much defining? Any accident that takes place at work or coming/going from work that results in death of the worker.

Don't know how it can be on the low side, though. How many people do you think die on work related accidents annually?

Admiral Yi

I think the issue is that some people think of traffic fatalities in a different category than work related.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 24, 2021, 05:54:31 PM
I think the issue is that some people think of traffic fatalities in a different category than work related.

Well, if the accident takes place when the worker is coming or going from work, it counts as a work related fatality. It is considered in a different category, but it's a work related fatality nevertheless.

Josquius

Yeah, so including all that especially 700 seems low for a country as big as Spain.

More football related.
Man City are making things so boring.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on February 24, 2021, 06:02:11 PM
Well, if the accident takes place when the worker is coming or going from work, it counts as a work related fatality. It is considered in a different category, but it's a work related fatality nevertheless.

I get it.

Though on second read, it seems Squeeze was saying the opposite of what I did.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on February 24, 2021, 06:07:22 PMYeah, so including all that especially 700 seems low for a country as big as Spain.

I think you vastly overestimate the amount of fatal accidents that take place annually. IIRC it was 3 thousand and a few hundred in the whole EU in the last year there were stats for.

Threviel

For the period 2010-2019 Sweden has had 434 work related deaths. 43 a year in country a fifth the size. Extrapolating that number would give Spain 43*5 = 215 deaths a year.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 24, 2021, 06:15:26 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 24, 2021, 06:07:22 PMYeah, so including all that especially 700 seems low for a country as big as Spain.

I think you vastly overestimate the amount of fatal accidents that take place annually. IIRC it was 3 thousand and a few hundred in the whole EU in the last year there were stats for.
Yeah it's quite low in the UK too - 111 in 2019/20.
https://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/fatals.htm

Looks like it peaked in the late 80s and has declined hugely since then. It's like health and safety laws actually serve a purpose rather than just being the butt of the joke.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Maybe I'm being racist and assuming Spaniards  drive like Italians? :hmm:

Googling I find 1,700 road deaths in a year in the UK. Interesting very few of them happen on the commute.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Threviel on February 25, 2021, 01:02:43 AM
For the period 2010-2019 Sweden has had 434 work related deaths. 43 a year in country a fifth the size. Extrapolating that number would give Spain 43*5 = 215 deaths a year.

The Netherlands has 60 a year on average, roughly the same as Sweden per capita. It does not include commutes, though.

Duque de Bragança

Portugal had in 103 in 2018, down from 348 in 1985
Peak of 595 in 1988.
Those fatalities made it into the news, specially on high-profile projects such as motorways, bridges etc.

https://www.pordata.pt/Portugal/Acidentes+de+trabalho+total+e+mortais-72

That's 2,1 %ooo in 2018 and 8,2 %ooo in 1985

https://www.pordata.pt/Portugal/Acidentes+de+trabalho+total+e+mortais+por+100+mil+empregados+-616-4243

Does not include commutes cf. Quantas quedas, esmagamentos, choques e outros acidentes de trabalho provocam ferimentos ou a morte a trabalhadores?