Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Suddenly emotional about a football ground I've never been to:
https://twitter.com/YorkCityFC/status/1351982485320687616?s=20
:lol: :(

They're moving into a council owned ground-share with the local Rugby League club.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

There a why on that?

I'd thought York was doing OK, gunning to get back in the league. They have a pretty big and dedicated fan base for a non league team, I know somebody who supports them as their only team: contrary to most non league fans who also have a "proper" team.

On non league, my favoured non league team south shields had quite the nightmare 2020. Running away with the northern league, way ahead of the nearest competitor.... Then the FA decided to just declare the season null.
This season they're lagging behind in 6th place <_<
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on January 21, 2021, 10:09:36 AM
There a why on that?

I'd thought York was doing OK, gunning to get back in the league. They have a pretty big and dedicated fan base for a non league team, I know somebody who supports them as their only team: contrary to most non league fans who also have a "proper" team.
I think Bootham Crescent was just very, very run down and would cost a huge amount of money to renovate. So them and the Rugby League club talked with the Council about building a community stadium.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Frank got the sack. Chels in for Tuchel.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 25, 2021, 02:32:55 PM
Frank got the sack. Chels in for Tuchel.

What's the longest anyone has lasted at Chelsea since Abromovitch bought it?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

Eriksen finally starts a game and if the Danish commentators are to be believed he is playing like a god.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

celedhring

This is the worst Barça team that I've watched since the early 2000s yet somehow we are back to second place (we're a mile behind Atlético, who are going to stroll to the title).

Ah well, I just want to survive the season with the club intact.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on February 01, 2021, 03:49:43 AM
This is the worst Barça team that I've watched since the early 2000s yet somehow we are back to second place (we're a mile behind Atlético, who are going to stroll to the title).

Ah well, I just want to survive the season with the club intact.

Do you have any take about the revelations regarding Messi's contract?

Otherwise yeah, not the best time to be a Barça supporter. :console:

celedhring

To be frank the leak doesn't reveal anything that wasn't previously known, but we have to go through the entire indignation theater. The rough figures were known, the loyalty bonuses were known, even the "anti-independence" clause was known.

I'm fine with paying this salary to the best in the world. Barça's problem has been paying astronomical figures for mediocre players, not paying them to Leo Messi.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on February 01, 2021, 08:59:02 AM
To be frank the leak doesn't reveal anything that wasn't previously known, but we have to go through the entire indignation theater. The rough figures were known, the loyalty bonuses were known, even the "anti-independence" clause was known.

I'm fine with paying this salary to the best in the world. Barça's problem has been paying astronomical figures for mediocre players, not paying them to Leo Messi.

He was supposed to learn Catalan language as part of this € 555,237,619 contract. How is his Catalan?  Good enough for Catalan nationalists? :P

Sheilbh

This Wolves-Arsenal game is bizarre :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 02, 2021, 10:14:08 AM
Quote from: celedhring on February 01, 2021, 08:59:02 AM

He was supposed to learn Catalan language as part of this € 555,237,619 contract. How is his Catalan?  Good enough for Catalan nationalists? :P

I don't think I've ever heard a single word in Catalan from him outside of prepared (and short) statements.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 02, 2021, 02:34:46 PM
This Wolves-Arsenal game is bizarre :blink:

It sucks real bad, have to say
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.