Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Make Southampton great again! :)

Sheilbh

In one meeting today giving evidence to Parliament the head of the FA:
Quote1. Said Asians would rather a career in IT than football
2. Described being Gay as a 'lifestyle choice'
3. Used the outdated (by about 3 decades) term 'Coloured'
4. Quoted a coach saying female footballers 'don't like having the ball kicked at them hard'.
:bleeding: :blink:

He has now stepped down. But it feels like that's a stable that needs clearing out.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Sounds like he was just trying to be sacked. What topic could you be on to come up with all that in one?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 10, 2020, 02:59:17 PM
Sounds like he was just trying to be sacked. What topic could you be on to come up with all that in one?
It's insane. It's like he went in trying to do a 1970s comedy routine :blink:

I can only assume he went in with a bingo card of offensive remarks to get through in one meeting.
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 10, 2020, 03:05:55 PM

I can only assume he went in with a bingo card of offensive remarks to get through in one meeting.

Maybe it's just the rich-guy bubble he lives in.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 10, 2020, 03:05:55 PM

Maybe he had a bet on?

Josquius

I haven't seen what he actually said. I assume it was about professional football majorly non-representing minorities apart from black and mixed race people?
Thinking on that...and the gay as a lifestyle choice bit...
I've often thought a key part of why we don't really see gay footballers is that football so heavily is a lifestyle choice. There's the whole macho culture about it which just excludes anyone who isn't down with it. Not to say I ever had the makings of a professional footballer but I certainly felt excluded from football in my teen years because I just didn't give a fuck about the toxic masculinity, constant squabbles about who is hardest, etc....
I can imagine this same thing will deter the vast majority of gay would-be footballers, perhaps leading to us missing out on the genuine gay Messi.*

*though some would argue this is Ronaldo.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Well, I guess the League of Nations is now a major tournament for French "fans".  :P

Portugal 0 France 1

Not so good Portuguese midfield was clearly outmatched for this game, despite the ™Fantastic Four™ who can't play together with Bernardo Silva failing a pass in the Portuguese half leading to the French goal by N'Golo Kanté.
Great Rui Patrício, dubbed São Patrício with only sinners around him by the Portuguese press.

Reminds me of contemporary pre 2016 games between A Selecção and les Bleus. :(

Duque de Bragança

In other games, Spain is not what it used to be:

Switzerland 1 Spain 1

Sérgio Ramos did not convert 2 (!) penalty shots into goals breaking a long successive streak of 25 scored penalties.

Luis Enrique as a coach does no wonder and Spain got a late equalizer (89th minute), almost undeserved versus a valiant Helvetic team.

Spain can still make it to the final four though, as long as they beat Germany.

Threviel

Thank God for that. That tiki-taka snorefest was the most boring thing to happen to football and I hope Spanish football forever returns to being losers without style.

Duque de Bragança

Wasn't so bad in 2008 though after it got really boring.

The Larch

How refreshing to keep receiving criticism from a decade ago.  :lol:

Threviel

Well, the Italians should be thoroughly refreshed then, people still complain about '82.