News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

The picture makes it look like you're being invaded by the aliens from the war of the worlds.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Love those beautiful wind turbines :wub:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

What's the rationale for the rule that offside doesn't get called until after the dude takes a shot?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2020, 07:50:00 PM
What's the rationale for the rule that offside doesn't get called until after the dude takes a shot?

It's like defensive PI.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2020, 07:50:00 PM
I think the theory is that previously the linesmen would flag an offside and the attack would stop which would happen by mistake when a player wasn't offside.

So now the attacking move finishes the linesman flags or not and it gets reviewed by VAR to confirm the decision or not.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

This NYT piece on Ozil being frozen out at Arsenal is really good:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/26/sports/soccer/mesut-ozil-arsenal-china.html?smid=tw-share

The points that seem particularly striking are the very obvious double standards on footballers being political - Arsenal are strong supporters of BLM within the league and Aubameyang has tweeted about the End SARS protests in Nigeria, and the club have issued a statement.

Also it's hard to feel that Ozil was wrong about the covid paycuts. He asked detailed questions including whether the owners would be contributing, how the money would be used and whether there would be guarantees that non-playing staff were protected. He was the only player who wouldn't take a paycut after getting the answers to those questions. Since then Arsenal have laid off 55 non-playing members of the staff.

What's also striking is you wonder if any team with ambitions of doing well in China would be willing to take him on even though he's still a player it feels Arsenal could do with in some matches  (without him I feel like their most creative player is David Luiz which is not ideal) and he would still be a very good player for lots of other clubs. It's just so weird because I think even with players who've been frozen out - like Bale and Rodriguez - they're normally somewhere in the squad, while Ozil is just nowhere.
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on October 31, 2020, 11:42:16 AM
Barcelona going bankrupt? https://en.as.com/en/2020/10/31/football/1604126117_921520.html

Maybe they should've sold Messi.

It was said, back in the day, that at least financially it'd be a blessing in disguise to sell him.

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on October 31, 2020, 11:42:16 AM
Barcelona going bankrupt? https://en.as.com/en/2020/10/31/football/1604126117_921520.html

Maybe they should've sold Messi.

No offers for him, I'd have driven him to the airport myself if somebody was willing to pay for him  :hmm:

The broadcaster that released this news is very close to Barça's managing committee and has been their mouthpiece in the past, I think they are just trying to put pressure on the players.

Liep

Quote from: Liep on November 03, 2020, 03:02:18 PM
I was hoping Midtjylland - Ajax could help pass the time but Ajax scores after 48 seconds. It's going to be a disastrous night. :(

0 - 2 after a lay off to the keeper and a indirect free kick in the box. I haven't seen that since I was playing junior football over 20 years ago.  :Embarrass: :bleeding:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Porto - Marseille

Will Marseille equal Anderlecht's crappy record of 12 games lost in a row in the CL?
So far it's not going well for Marseille, already losing 2-0 and Payet failed a penalty when Porto was only leading by 1-0.
But then Marseille never won a game vs any Portuguese club in Portugal.

Duque de Bragança

Porto 3 Marseille 0

Marseille beyond crappy. AVB, former coach of Porto won't make enemies this way when he returns to be president of Porto.  :P
Corona made another new 11 victims.
12 defeats in a row for Marseille in the Champions' League. Anderlecht equalled.

City 3 Olympiakos 0

Liverpool 5 Atalanta 0

Bayern 6 Salzburg 2

Lots of thrashings tonight.

Sheilbh

:lol:
QuoteSouthampton FC
@SouthamptonFC
STOP THE COUNT
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Liep