News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Barca still sucks. When they need to play fast their game breaks after one or two touches.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

The silence at P league matches is a little eerie after that piped stuff.

I notice the trend of really weird hair cuts seems to be over.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2020, 07:42:48 PM
The silence at P league matches is a little eerie after that piped stuff.
The piped stuff is still available here - normally there's two channels running the match one with artificial stadium noise (that only we hear) and one without. Is there maybe an option with the broadcaster in the US?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 17, 2020, 07:50:30 PM
The piped stuff is still available here - normally there's two channels running the match one with artificial stadium noise (that only we hear) and one without. Is there maybe an option with the broadcaster in the US?

I'm just watching youtube highlight clips.

Admiral Yi

Hey Shelf, how do you deal with a player on your team being a thug?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2020, 09:38:06 PM
Hey Shelf, how do you deal with a player on your team being a thug?
Wut? :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

You're an Everton guy, right?  Seems Richarlison is a cheap shot artist.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2020, 02:38:09 PM
Do Spanish announcers all do that "gooooooooooooooal" thing?

Yes, except homers when the other team scores.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 17, 2020, 11:24:31 PM
You're an Everton guy, right?  Seems Richarlison is a cheap shot artist.
He's not. I've watched him a lot over the last two and a bit season. He's not a cynical player.

That was a horrendous tackle though at a ridiculous time and part of the pitch. But I don't think it was deliberate, more of a striker's challenge. The red was deserved, he'll be banned for a few games which is right and he's already apologised to Thiago and his team-mates and issued a public apology (which resulted in a lot of racist abuse on social media - which is unfortunate). I don't think there's anything more that needs to happen with him.

I also actually think the Pickford challenge was worse and should have been punished. It should have been a red card.

It may be that something more needs to be done internally by Ancelotti but again, I feel like Richarlison knows he fucked up, I'm not so sure Pickford does.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

So was watching the Spurs West Ham game. At the 60th minute, with Spurs up 3-0,  I decided to go for a nap.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josephus on October 18, 2020, 12:24:55 PM
So was watching the Spurs West Ham game. At the 60th minute, with Spurs up 3-0,  I decided to go for a nap.
:lol: :console:

Turns out Moyes can do it both working from home and on-site.

Edit: I love that #Moyesout was already trending before that :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

I switched to NFL at around that time. Hmm..
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on October 17, 2020, 03:45:20 PM
Barca still sucks. When they need to play fast their game breaks after one or two touches.

Yes, we do.  <_<

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 18, 2020, 12:27:17 PM
:lol: :console:

Turns out Moyes can do it both working from home and on-site.

Edit: I love that #Moyesout was already trending before that :lol:

"It's Tottenham."
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

So - a very good piece in the NYT on Ancelotti at Everton:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/16/sports/soccer/liverpool-everton-carlo-ancelotti.html
QuoteCarlo Ancelotti Would Like to Talk About Crosby

His Everton squad is leading the Premier League entering Saturday's Merseyside Derby, but a manager who has seen it all has never been single-minded when it comes to soccer.

Obviously the whole thing of Ancelotti managing Everton is something I still find really weird. But what really brings it home is hearing about him waxing lyrical about the Liverpool suburb I lived in as a kid and where my nan lived. This intro is really difficult to wrap my head around :blink:
QuotePrecisely 51 seconds elapse between pressing "record" on Zoom and Carlo Ancelotti asking the question that, according to those who work with him, is never far from his lips these days. "Do you know Crosby?" he says, leaning forward in his chair. It is very important to Carlo Ancelotti that you should know about Crosby.

Until the turn of the year, Ancelotti was one of the unlucky ones: He was someone who had never been to Crosby. He had been to Liverpool a few times, of course — as manager of Chelsea and Real Madrid and Napoli — but he had never had the chance, on those flying visits, to venture much further than his team's hotels.

In the first few weeks after taking the job as Everton manager last December, though, Ancelotti set out with his wife to find a place to call home. They did not want to live in one of the luxury apartments in the city's center: They have three dogs — a Pomeranian, a Jack Russell/Poodle cross, and one of lineage Ancelotti has not yet committed to memory — and so prefer a bit of open space.

He wanted somewhere comfortable, not especially ornate or flashy or grand, and quiet. His days, he said, tend to be spent at the training facility, and his nights with family. He does not crave nightlife.

But nor did he want a long commute from one of the essentially fortified villages south of Manchester that constitute North West England's footballer belt. All of which led someone at the club to recommend Crosby — on the coast, just outside the city, refined but not knowingly exclusive — as a happy medium.

The beach at Crosby, the seaside town for which Ancelotti has become an evangelist.Credit...Jon Super/Associated Press

Ancelotti and his wife were smitten. In the intervening months, a colleague jokes, the 61-year-old Ancelotti has seemingly taken on an unofficial role as Crosby's minister for tourism. "It's a beautiful place," he said. He got to know it especially well over those long spring months of lockdown, walking his dogs along the water. Ever since, he has been keen to alert others to Crosby's charms.

"It's close to the sea," he said. "There's a beautiful beach. A long beach. There is really nice cycling, really nice walks. You can walk all the way to Formby on the coastal path. There are the Gormley statues, 100 of them, on the beach. I really like it."

Hearing Ancelotti — this stylish, urbane Italian whose glittering career has been spent almost exclusively in one or other of Europe's great cities, from Rome to Milan, Milan to London, London to Paris, and on to Madrid and Munich — spend the days before the season's first Merseyside Derby evangelizing the charms of Crosby is, even for someone who has been to Crosby and likes it very much, something of a surprise.
Let's bomb Russia!