News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on September 27, 2020, 09:42:30 AM
You could see that at the end of last season already, also with the congested fixture calendar that resulted. In a way that's why the 5 substitutions rule has been carried on.
Not in the Premier League which, needless to say the richest clubs with the deepest squads are moaning about endlessly :lol: <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

In amusing news of the week, the lawyer that counseled Messi during his attempt to leave Barça has been kicked out from his firm  :lol:

Josquius

An excellent little clip about Scotlands goalkeeping options

https://youtu.be/tvreCDC61Zw
██████
██████
██████

Liep

So the Danish team with the most boring name, FC Midtjylland (FC Middle of Jutland) has won entry to the Champions League. It's a huge surprise and it doesn't happen very often that a Danish team gets to play in the CL.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

I cannot explain enough how much I love Ancelotti and how great it is when he's in charge of your club :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on September 30, 2020, 04:34:52 PM
So the Danish team with the most boring name, FC Midtjylland (FC Middle of Jutland) has won entry to the Champions League. It's a huge surprise and it doesn't happen very often that a Danish team gets to play in the CL.

Sisto's influence already showing?  :P

Admiral Yi

When do they go to a shoot out and when do they just call it a tie?  Just watched Chelsea Spurs highlights.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2020, 12:58:57 AM
When do they go to a shoot out and when do they just call it a tie?  Just watched Chelsea Spurs highlights.

Depends on the tournament format. In league play, there's no penalty shootouts. In knock out rounds usually if there's a  tie after full play time and overtime.

If a knock out round has teams playing each other twice (home and away), the cumulative score decides; in some contests away goals are used as tie breaker before overtime or penalty shootouts. I.e. if your team wins 3-2 at home, but loses 1-0 away, then the score is 3-3, but the other team scored 2 away goals vs your 0, and advances to next round.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on September 30, 2020, 05:58:20 PM

Sisto's influence already showing?  :P

They were trailing 0-1 until he was subbed out :p
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Poor Midtjylland ended up with a challenging group :( :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

So it's Porto, Manchester City, Olympiakos and Marseille.

Usually, a French club would be good since for some unexplainable reason Portuguese clubs, even Porto, are not taken seriously, despite the gap in European titles between A Liga and the Ligue des Tas Lents. However, with a great Portuguese coach such as Villas-Boas I am afraid this won't be the case this time.
Plus one Portuguese coach for Olympiakos, for good measure.

:hmm:

A priori City first. They only mess up from 1/4 finals.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on October 01, 2020, 01:35:03 AM
Depends on the tournament format. In league play, there's no penalty shootouts. In knock out rounds usually if there's a  tie after full play time and overtime.

If a knock out round has teams playing each other twice (home and away), the cumulative score decides; in some contests away goals are used as tie breaker before overtime or penalty shootouts. I.e. if your team wins 3-2 at home, but loses 1-0 away, then the score is 3-3, but the other team scored 2 away goals vs your 0, and advances to next round.

So does that mean Chelsea and Tottenham were playing in some tournament?

Liep

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 01, 2020, 11:36:53 AM
Poor Midtjylland ended up with a challenging group :( :lol:

Reaction from a Liverpool journalist: "A couple of brilliant cities and a three-hour road trip from Copenhagen to somewhere which sounds like a planet."

Liep

FC Copenhagen is out of Europe League after losing 0-1.

The goal was the most insane and defensively incompetent looking goal I've seen in a long time. 1 attacker, 4 defenders:

https://twitter.com/axelmoeen/status/1311735130151620608?s=20

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2020, 01:47:17 PM
Quote from: Syt on October 01, 2020, 01:35:03 AM

So does that mean Chelsea and Tottenham were playing in some tournament?
Yeah - the League Cup (well, the Carabao Cup - named for it's sponsor). It's a cup tournament of all the clubs in the Football League so all the professional clubs (though I think there's a gorwing number of clubs that are non-league but professional).
Let's bomb Russia!