News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Benfica already out of the Champions' League after losing by 2-1 to PAOK Thessalonica (coached by a Portuguese...) with an own goal by a relatively expensive new recruit and, icing on the cake, another goal by a former player who was let go for free a few weeks ago in order to save money on salaries. The new coach Jesus, made no miracles and did not come cheap as well.
If it weren't bad for the Portuguese UEFA rating, this would be hilarious.

Liep

Are the qualifying games just one round?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on September 16, 2020, 03:55:24 PM

Yeah, I think it's a one-off Covid thing.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on September 16, 2020, 04:42:16 PM
Quote from: Liep on September 16, 2020, 03:55:24 PM

Yeah, I think it's a one-off Covid thing.

Indeed, though given the sorry, pre-season shape of Benfica I am not sure two games would have changed the result.

Josephus

I actually liked the way they did the final rounds of the Champions League this year due to COVID and wish they'd consider keeping it that way. A quick one-game tournament beats a never ending 2-game series.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

There was nothing I could like from this year's CL tournament.   <_<

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on September 17, 2020, 06:38:26 AM
I actually liked the way they did the final rounds of the Champions League this year due to COVID and wish they'd consider keeping it that way. A quick one-game tournament beats a never ending 2-game series.

Perhaps if it was played simultaneously with the league. I didn't really like the post-season feeling of this year's CL so for now I hope they keep the old format.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

I quite liked it, but it did change things and I quite like two legs so would revert to that.

I have seen some people suggesting that this could be a nice change for the Europa League though. So the CL continues as normal but you basically have a post-season knock-out tournament in a location for the Europa League and it feels like that is the competition that could do with fewer matches and more excitement.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

West Brom with a legendary implosion just before the half against Everton.

And then they go and score an incredible free kick to even the score. Wow.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Keane (again!?) has taken the lead again (thank God).

I don't really get sending off managers when the stadium is empty because I'm pretty sure Bilic can shout just as much from the stands as the touchline :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Missed the chance to enter the fantasy Premier League this season, I blame covid  :mad:

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 19, 2020, 07:48:31 AM
Richarlison has taken the lead again (thank God).

I don't really get sending off managers when the stadium is empty because I'm pretty sure Bilic can shout just as much from the stands as the touchline :lol:

Yeah his straight red was a little perplexing to me.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

This made me laugh.

0 sprints, that's James Rodríguez indeed.  :lol:

Great player if you can accomodate he's a lazyarse, which at Real/Bayern wasn't possible given the other top dogs they had.

Josquius

Haha. But hey. It works
Everton top of the league. 2020 man.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on September 20, 2020, 06:44:28 AM
This made me laugh.

0 sprints, that's James Rodríguez indeed.  :lol:

Great player if you can accomodate he's a lazyarse, which at Real/Bayern wasn't possible given the other top dogs they had.
:lol: The Sky stats guy gave a bit of context to that: "a sprint is classed as reaching +25km/h, or level 25 on a treadmill! His average speed during the game was faster than several others" and he might not be sprinting but I am pleasantly surprised he has that Latin American snide-side. He's made a couple of sharp tackles, which is lovely to see.

But in the first game alone he created more chances than any Everton player in our last 20 games. So he can coast as much as he wants :wub:

In all seriousness - I was speaking to a friend about this last night and I said he is one of those players who are so good and skilled that it looks like time sort of behaves differently around them. They always have an extra second on the ball to spot the pass. It's really, really lovely to see in an Everton shirt and it strikes me that this must be what it's like supporting a good team :lol:

Edit: Also the position of the candle looks like someone's making votive offerings to Jermaine Jenas :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!