News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on September 04, 2020, 11:21:15 AM
Messi will stay in Barca to avoid a legal battle. They honestly don't deserve him.

Well, that's code for "my lawyers told me we'd lose".

Anyway, hopefully fucking Covid clears out in the near future so I can watch him live for one last time.

Sheilbh

Yeah - you might lose or it's messy and there'll be a fight and given everything else in the world no club is willing to take on the risk that we get it wrong and they suddenly owe €700 mil :ph34r:

In a way I sort of wonder if a fee would be better for Barca (even if it's not the full amount) because they could probably do something useful with it in the market, I feel like they're going to struggle to get rid of some of the other older and expensive players (whereas clubs would come in and pay for Messi) and - I mean - are there any doubts about how well Messi will train/perform after this. Is there not a risk that actually he really isn't arsed anymore, every niggle means he can't play/risk injury etc?
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

It's a terrible situation for both the club and player, but the problem is that nobody has come and bid for him. The talk is that no club can afford to pay his wages AND a transfer fee while still complying with FFP. He has a monster salary.

He probably had something under the table with City on the condition that he came on a free. Barça buckled down, and here we are. That's what happens when your agent is your dad, and not a professional.

Josquius

Always been curious how football contracts gel with general employment law. There's nothing to stop any of us quitting our job and going to work elsewhere. How come footballers can't do this? Non compete clause or so? So Messi could quit and get a job in a supermarket if he wants?

But aye. Sucks. Wonder what he will do next season. Will he play?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on September 04, 2020, 01:15:23 PM
Always been curious how football contracts gel with general employment law. There's nothing to stop any of us quitting our job and going to work elsewhere. How come footballers can't do this? Non compete clause or so? So Messi could quit and get a job in a supermarket if he wants?

But aye. Sucks. Wonder what he will do next season. Will he play?

In Spain, sportsmen contracts fall outside the general employment contracts. However, under Spanish law they can actually break them unilaterally. However - and that's why footballers in Spain have all release fees - the club can put a penalty on the contract if the player wants to cancel it. That's what the release fees are.

Liep

National football is back and we're starting up against Belgium. Looking at the starting line up I thought that we actually have a pretty good team. Regulars at Milan, Leicester, Valencia, Chelsea, Nice, Copenhagen and Leipzig and contenders at Tottenham, Inter and Dortmund. And then a soon to be former Barca player. ;)

And a new coach.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

The new season has started in England too. Oddly with the league Cup and checkatrade first, the league to start after. Which is useful, gives 2 dress reversals effectively.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

League of Nations for Portugal as well.
2-0 for Portugal vs Croatia for now, with both teams kissing key players such as Ronaldo (injured) and Modric for instance. Portugal clearly dominates since the 15th minute but is not that efficient vs a not so good Croatia. Goals by Cancelo and Jota (first goal for the national squad I believe for the latter).
Now it looks really difficult for Croatia.

France is playing vs Sweden in Solna and was leading 1-0 at half-time, in a not so good game.

Duque de Bragança

3-0 now. At last, João Felix, one of the youngest players who has had a disappointing season, scores in his sixth game for the national squad.

Liep

Eriksen is now also invisible on the national team. Thanks, Conte.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Final scores

Portugal 4 Croatia 1

Portugal had a bad spell in the end with tired players and substitutions disorganizing the team so Croats improved and managed to score a goal. André Silva scored the last Portuguese goal on a corner kick. Not brilliant but opportunistic.

Sweden 0 France 1

Griezmann failed a penalty in stoppage time but Kyky Mbappé's nice and opportunistic goal is enough.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 07, 2020, 09:04:47 PM
Outstanding content from Vitoria :lol:
https://twitter.com/MundialMag/status/1303052851866894336?s=20

Hope his mansion has long hallways since he's so fond of running into blind alleys.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 08, 2020, 02:52:17 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 07, 2020, 09:04:47 PM
Outstanding content from Vitoria :lol:
https://twitter.com/MundialMag/status/1303052851866894336?s=20

Hope his mansion has long hallways since he's so fond of running into blind alleys.

No fond memories of his time at Barcelona?  :P

I've just checked the Vitoria Guimaraes squad and I'm quite astonished to see that they feature three English players, all of them quite young. Since when do young English footballers move abroad? They used to be the exception, but checking the current U21 and U20 squads there are a few of them playing in the continent nowadays.