News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on August 20, 2020, 07:50:49 AM
I wonder how they'd distinguish them if there's no middle names or such. A, B, C?

In the wiki page they're called Adama Traoré I and Adama Traoré II.

Back in the day (80s and 90s), Sporting Gijón had two brothers playing for them with similar first names, and they were also diferentiated with Roman numerals, with the older one getting the I and the younger the II. Funnily enough, the younger brother was the better player and even played for the Spanish national team (without numerals there).

Edit: Found their Panini stickers!  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Le Monde says Macron (a declared as such OM fan) intervened in this highly important and sensitive matter.  :P

https://www.lemonde.fr/politique/article/2020/08/21/quand-l-elysee-intervient-contre-un-arrete-interdisant-le-port-du-maillot-du-psg-a-marseille_6049570_823448.html

QuotePSG anti-jersey decree finally repealed in Marseille

Parisian jerseys will not be banned in Marseille this Sunday during the Champions League final. Incidents were observed on Tuesday during the semi-final between PSG and Leipzig in Marseille had prompted local authorities to react. Indeed, this Thursday, the prefecture of Bouches-du-Rhône decided to sign a decree which prohibits the wearing of the Parisian jersey on the Canebière on Sunday on the occasion of the final of the Champions League.

Ban on wearing a PSG jersey in Marseille on Sunday

In everyday life, the text also prohibits "to display the colors of PSG" in any way and aims to avoid any overflow and "disturbance of public order" while no information has filtered out on possible gatherings. But finally, this Friday, the police headquarters decided to repeal this decision, in the face of numerous disputes on the web, and is explained in a press release.

"The sole purpose of this decree was to protect Parisian supporters, and in no way aimed to restrict freedom of movement. Following the assault of two people, one of whom was wearing the Paris Saint-Germain jersey, on the sidelines of the semi-final, it aimed to prevent Parisian supporters from being too easily identified and targeted ", in particular indicated the police headquarters in its press release.

Sonny Anderson: "I think PSG are better armed than Bayern"

"Faced with the incomprehension caused by this decree, the prefect of police decided today to repeal it. He urges the Parisian supporters who will attend broadcasts of the final in Marseille not to wear ostentatious signs in the public space and to exercise moderation in their eventual celebrations so as not to be taken to task", concluded the police chief of Bouches-du-Rhône.

On Tuesday, groups of OM supporters marched through the streets of Marseille, chanting hostile chants towards the Parisian club. PSG supporters had even been taken to task in the streets of Marseille, leading to an arrest. If the ban is lifted, PSG supporters in Marseille must still exercise caution and keep a low profile will surely be advised.

https://www.time24.news/2020/08/psg-anti-jersey-decree-finally-repealed-in-marseille.html

Sheilbh

God what I wouldn't give for an Italian team/coach to have made it this far :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

Fun game with the correct winners.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Iron Law of Football: PSG squandered too many chances and could have even got a penalty against them just before half-time. Neymar and Mbappé on a bad day or Neuer very good again.
The veterans would perhaps compare this final to the Saint-Étienne v Bayern final in Glasgow in 1976 (without square posts). Same result for Bayern but a much different time.

PS: hopefully no riots on the Champs-Élysées tonight.

Admiral Yi

I wonder if they play different crowd noises depending on who scores.

Duque de Bragança

Speaking of who scores, Kingsley Coman, yesterday's scorer, was scouted and trained by PSG and started there his pro career. Refused a contract in 2014, then moved to Juventus, and after to Bayern.

Josquius

I completely forgot it was last night :blush:
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Alphonso Davies from Edmonton (well originally from Liberia, then Ghana) who played youth soccer here is getting an impressive amount of local coverage for winning the Champions League. :thumbsup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Davies is insanely good and made headlines when he clowned on Barcelona when they demolished them 8-2.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on August 24, 2020, 09:08:34 PM
Alphonso Davies from Edmonton (well originally from Liberia, then Ghana) who played youth soccer here is getting an impressive amount of local coverage for winning the Champions League. :thumbsup:

Really a success story for Edmonton's youth program.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

FunkMonk

Messi told Barcelona he wants to leave on a free transfer via a fax.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

How deliciously retro.
Though I remember not long ago, a player whose transfer failed due to fax confirmation being sent 14 seconds too late.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 25, 2020, 01:51:04 PM
Messi told Barcelona he wants to leave on a free transfer via a fax.  :lol:

Was the pony express out of order?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."