News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Third Bayern goal was offside, or so the referee decided.

PS:
QuoteOn aurait tellement aimé que le scénario fût différent...

Imperfect subjunctive (literary tense) used  by a French commentator during the game. Does not happen often on TV, even less so for sport commenting, though fût is probably one of the most commonly used, as in not too rare.

Duque de Bragança

And a Lewandowski header goal to finish. Bayern 3 Lyon 0

Admiral Yi

How do you guys feel about the piped in crowd noise?

Works for me up the point the camera pans up.  Too weird then.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 19, 2020, 08:15:50 PM

I prefer it. Without it it feels too much like lower league football where you can hear every ball contact and player shout.

La Liga's fake crowd overlay was good, kinda like FIFA anno 2010. It looked crapped when focused on but worked to cover the empty seats.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on August 19, 2020, 11:24:05 PM

I prefer it. Without it it feels too much like lower league football where you can hear every ball contact and player shout.

I actually like the lower league football vibe. Used to happen only when a game was played behind closed doors due to hooliganism.
I guess when you are not paying too much attention to what is on screen, as in multitasking and not trying to recognize the chants, the piped in crowd noise does not sound too fake.

The Larch

Spain's national team's call up for the next two international games (Germany and Ukraine) has gone up and there are LOTS of young new players on it (I've even had to look up who a couple of them were  :lol: ), with very few veterans remaining. Glad to see that they're finally taking generational renewal seriously.

Also a positive sign of the times, I believe this is the first time in which two players of African background (Adama Traoré and Ansu Fati) have been called up to the team.

Sheilbh

I change around with it.

I thought it'd be interesting to hear managers actually sort of coaching through a game. I was disabused of this when I heard Steve Bruce shout "for fuck's sake!" the third time when someone miscontrolled a ball :lol:

I wonder if it'll stay for good. We've got empty stadiums then in October the government is planning to hopefully allow some fans back into the stadiums (I think at 1/3 capacity with lots of other rules), I can imagine the producers using the crowd noise to augment the semi-empty stadiums. And I wouldn't be surprised if even once we're back to full stadiums if the producers don't keep it as an enhancement to amp up the atmosphere.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

I watch most games these days on DAZN, and it offers a sound off option; which i tend to prefer.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on August 20, 2020, 04:55:15 AM
Also a positive sign of the times, I believe this is the first time in which two players of African background (Adama Traoré and Ansu Fati) have been called up to the team.

Wait, wait... A Celta fan has forgotten Vicente Engonga?  :(

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on August 20, 2020, 06:53:27 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 20, 2020, 04:55:15 AM

Wait, wait... A Celta fan has forgotten Vicente Engonga?  :(

I said two, there have been several ocasions in which one player of African background, like Engonga, was called up.  ;)

Munir and Iñaki Williams come to mind, for instance.  :hmm:

celedhring

Ok, I understood you meant it as "first ever"

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on August 20, 2020, 06:58:35 AM
Ok, I understood you meant it as "first ever"

Nah, as I said it's been a short while since Spanish players of African descent have been called up, although none have been featured consistently. I believe both Munir and Williams have only 1 cap each, and at least on Munir's case it was promted by him being tempted by Morocco to switch international allegiance, and him picking Spain ended up being the wrong choice. If he had switched to Morocco I guess he'd have way more chances to play internationally.

celedhring

I suspect Traoré's callup is for the same reason. He was already hinting that he'd switch to Mali early in the year IIRC.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on August 20, 2020, 07:35:53 AM
I suspect Traoré's callup is for the same reason. He was already hinting that he'd switch to Mali early in the year IIRC.

Yeah, I believe he started the process to switch to Mali last year and only stopped it after being called up late in the year, although he had to withdraw from the team due to injury and is yet uncapped at senior level (although he has played for every U-XX team there is).

I think I read that if he played for Mali he'd be the third player called Adama Traoré in the squad. :lol: And to add insult to injury, the other two Adama Traorés play for the same French team (although one of them is currently away on loan, and the other one is actually a loanee there).

Josquius

I wonder how they'd distinguish them if there's no middle names or such. A, B, C?
██████
██████
██████