And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Pedrito on March 12, 2020, 02:14:42 AM
Uefa should stop every competition.
Now that Juventus is quarantined, how can they think the virus will not spread, if it hasn't already during the match against Lyon.

L.
Yeah I can't see how UEFA competitions can go ahead.

There's talk that we move fully into "delay" today. Apparently all football would be behind closed doors, season ticket holders and other ticket holders would be given a way to stream the games and they'd liberalise some of the rules on broadcast (so Sky etc would show more games).

I hope there's some consideration of the lower leagues because there are multiple clubs in the Football League who still rely on their gates and kind of live home game to home game. Still I'm sure the Premier League will show solidarity and support the.... :lol: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

A couple of games between Spanish and Italian clubs have already been postponed due to the travel restrictions in place.

Josquius

Man. Liberalising broadcast rules could really open a Pandoras box of awesome.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I wonder how Football Manager will model pandemics in its next couple of releases. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on March 12, 2020, 05:06:50 AM
Man. Liberalising broadcast rules could really open a Pandoras box of awesome.
I think they're keeping the 3pm ban though, for some reason.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on March 12, 2020, 05:10:11 AM
I wonder how Football Manager will model pandemics in its next couple of releases. :P

Woops
Your 100 mil striker is dead.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on March 12, 2020, 05:13:18 AM

Woops
Your 100 mil striker is dead.

The Emiliano Sala event?  :P

Apparently it is coded that a regen could suddenly drop dead, but not a real player. There are plenty of regen-only events out there.

Josephus

I was thinking that last night :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Premier League club is testing all their players after three displayed symptoms  :ph34r:

Can't see leagues continuing once players are affected, even behind closed doors.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 12, 2020, 07:59:04 AM
Premier League club is testing all their players after three displayed symptoms  :ph34r:

Can't see leagues continuing once players are affected, even behind closed doors.

La Liga has been suspended after Real Madrid had to go into quarantine.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 12, 2020, 09:02:27 AM

I feel at this point no-one really wants the league suspended.

We should probably just cancel it for this season and acknowledge, collectively, that the 2019/20 season never happened and there were no champions. It was just a write-off.

Edit: Apparently Leicester are the Premier League club with three players self-isolating and all players being tested.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 12, 2020, 09:06:20 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 12, 2020, 09:02:27 AM

I feel at this point no-one really wants the league suspended.

We should probably just cancel it for this season and acknowledge, collectively, that the 2019/20 season never happened and there were no champions. It was just a write-off.

Edit: Apparently Leicester are the Premier League club with three players self-isolating and all players being tested.

I think your bias may be hanging out a little bit there :p

As a neutral to cancel the season now with no champions would be madness considering Liverpools victory is a fait accompli.
More concerning is the relegation and promotion places in other leagues. What of play offs etc...
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Suspend for now & resume in the summer. Euro 2020 can be delayed to 2021.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on March 12, 2020, 09:37:31 AM
I think your bias may be hanging out a little bit there :p
That is possibly a risk :P

QuoteAs a neutral to cancel the season now with no champions would be madness considering Liverpools victory is a fait accompli.
More concerning is the relegation and promotion places in other leagues. What of play offs etc...
Fair - I mean Leeds and West Brom are probably basing a huge chunk of their current business on promotion and an extra £100 million a year. It'll be similar in the rest of the league. Plus, as I say, there are definitely clubs that rely on their gates and even a suspension would hugely damage them.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 12, 2020, 09:40:22 AM
Suspend for now & resume in the summer. Euro 2020 can be delayed to 2021.

UEFA will decide on European competitions next week. I read that it can be taken for granted that the Euro will be pushed back to 2021.