News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 22, 2019, 08:04:14 AM
What's the issue with having 40+ players on loan?

It shows bad faith on Chelsea's part, as it games the transfer system. On itself it's perfectly legal, but it goes against the spirit of the sport, because most of those players have no realistic hope of ever being part of Chelsea's first team. It turns those young players into assets/bargaining chips.

Grey Fox

I see.

Just another proof that the American system is better, imo.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 22, 2019, 10:29:58 AM
I see.

No. Even MLS is moving away from relying on college drafts and developing academy squads.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on February 22, 2019, 11:48:36 AM
I see.

No. Even MLS is moving away from relying on college drafts and developing academy squads.

Probably because there are only about 200 major Men's Soccer programs in the US. By comparison there are 351 Men's Basketball programs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

I wouldn't mind if the cases of Spanish teams are looked into, lest I be accused of bias. Real Madrid have currently 25 players on loan, which is also well into outrageous territory. I checked other European top teams and apparently only Juventus, with 47 (!!!) players currently on loan has Chelsea beaten in that regard.

Curious its a problem in Spain too, you'd think the B team system would offset the need a lot.

I see.

Chelsea here aren't being typical of the European system. They're something quite different altogether. A people smuggling operation we might say if we fancy being a bit questionably racist.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on February 22, 2019, 05:23:48 PM
QuoteI wouldn't mind if the cases of Spanish teams are looked into, lest I be accused of bias. Real Madrid have currently 25 players on loan, which is also well into outrageous territory. I checked other European top teams and apparently only Juventus, with 47 (!!!) players currently on loan has Chelsea beaten in that regard.

Curious its a problem in Spain too, you'd think the B team system would offset the need a lot.

B teams in Spain normally play in the 3rd tier or lower, so sometimes the level of competition they get is not great for top level develpment, so even after a time at the B team good prospects are still loaned out to finish their polishing. Real Madrid are way out of the average, anyway. Barcelona have 15 and Atlético 7.

In the particular case of Real Madrid, the players they loan out are normally 1st team discards who are way too expensive to be outright bought by other teams (Kovacic or James Rodríguez), youngsters with good/reasonable prospects that are being developed at other good teams in order to play for the 1st team in the future or be sold out (Theo Hernández or Achraf Hakimi in the first group, Lucas Silva or Andrey Lunin in the second), and mostly no-name youth teamers that are spread out around lower league teams in order not to burden the B team with too many players (a bunch of them who nobody has ever heard about).

Admiral Yi

Liep

The Carabao Cup final. :D

What the hell is going on with Chelsea, Tamas?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

I don't know.

For a change they seemed to be actually making a plan work. Then Kepa goes and shits on the coach on live TV.

Too bad there's the transfer ban and we paid a shitload of money for him, because he should be made an example of.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 24, 2019, 02:37:53 PM
Quote from: bogh on February 24, 2019, 04:13:35 AM
No.

No there isn't, or no there is?

A player cannot be offsides during a throw in, corner kick, or goal kick.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Tamas on February 24, 2019, 02:33:30 PM

Too bad there's the transfer ban and we paid a shitload of money for him, because he should be made an example of.

The amount of player power at Chelsea is astonishing.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Sarri has plaed it down in the press conference saying it was a misunderstanding he thought Kepa couldn't continue, until later the doctor arrived back to the bench and explained that he could. And that it's not a big deal.

Well, IDK. Even just before penalties IIRC Sarri was screaming at Kepa, and Rudiger had to keep him away.

What is more worrying though is how Azpalecueta (sp?) the captain, and other senior players didn't just shove Kepa's ass down the pitch. Who cares what he thinks?

Josephus

Hey. I got a question for any of you Brit footie fans.

I'm going to be in London next November. I'd like to catch a game -- doesnt' matter which, there's plenty London teams to chose from

What's the easiest way of getting tickets?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011