Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2019, 08:10:25 PM
What is a derby?

Where the police feel there is a very real chance of serious violence at a match between two nearby clubs, the game is cancelled and a short course horse race is run between two runners and riders representing the teams.

The winner gets three points, if neither side can find a horse and rider at short notice, the match is deemed a draw, one point each.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2019, 08:10:25 PM
What is a derby?

Game between teams of the same city unless it's London.  :P

So Lazio vs Roma / Inter vs Milan AC / Juventus vs Torino
Benfica vs Sporting / Porto vs Boavista
Real vs Atlético / Barça vs Español
etc.

There has been no Paris derby since the '80s (PSG vs Racing Paris).

Sometimes, sport journos also speak of a Ruhr Derby but it is stretching a bit the definition.
This would be Schalke 04 vs Borussia Dortmund.

PS: mongers rightly points out the horse racing origin of the term.  :P Still stones for the weights of horses and jockeys btw?  :D

Josquius

Not necessarily the same city. Sunderland - Newcastle is one of the biggest derbies going.
I think Man Utd - Liverpool is classed as a derby too
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I've got into HEATED debates with football snobs that refuse to call rivalry games outside the same city a "derby".

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 31, 2019, 03:04:49 AM
I've got into HEATED debates with football snobs that refuse to call rivalry games outside the same city a "derby".

Celta - Dépor is a derby and nothing will make me change my mind.  :P

Josquius

Amazing local government boundaries hold such importance
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on January 31, 2019, 06:02:32 AM

Derby galego, I see.  :P
I remember getting into an argument when Porto played a team based 30 km away from Porto, Paços de Ferreira, and this would not be counted as a derby because the one and only Porto derby is vs Boavista, from the name of a Porto neighborhood.

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 31, 2019, 07:40:39 AM

I remember getting into an argument when Porto played a team based 30 km away from Porto, Paços de Ferreira, and this would not be counted as a derby because the one and only Porto derby is vs Boavista, from the name of a Porto neighborhood.

Aren't there a bucketload of teams in the Portuguese first division from the Greater Porto area anyway?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on January 31, 2019, 07:53:23 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 31, 2019, 07:40:39 AM

Aren't there a bucketload of teams in the Portuguese first division from the Greater Porto area anyway?

Pretty much so, with some changes along the years with Salgueiros having disappeared a dozen years or so ago and Paços de Ferreira in a lower division. Now there is Feirense, Clube das Aves and Rio Ave. Of course, as said before the REAL Derby is Porto vs Boavista. Like Real vs Atlético and not Real vs Rayo Vallecano.
Hell, there's even a Guimarães derby now with Vitória Guimarães vs Moreirense.  :D https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moreirense_Futebol_Clube More possibilities for a Minho Derby too with Braga. ;)
This year derby of the archipels with Santa Clara (Açores) vs Marítimo Funchal (Madeira). There is a Madeira derby too, Nacional Madeira vs Marítimo Funchal.

Big LULZ would be Santa Clara winning an Europa League spot and having to travel all the way to the Urals or behind in Kazakhstan.

Grey Fox

Sometimes we call the Montreal - Toronto rivalry a derby when it involves our soccer teams.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

For years they tried selling Toronto and Columbus as a derby...and they're an 8 hr drive away from each other. :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Would you guys call El Classico a derby?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

No, that's precisely why it's called El Clásico.

PS :(O) Clássico is Porto-Benfica.  :P