News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

We should build amphitheatres and charge for tickets and marvel as the silly fuckers kick shit out of each other.

It is basically a plebeian form of boxing if they leave innocent bystanders out of the melee.

celedhring

Maladict

For Spanish football, sure  :)

In England, not so much.

Pedrito

Quote from: celedhring on October 28, 2018, 12:12:04 PM
What a pleasant afternoon.
A manita without Messi: not bad, not bad at all.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Pedrito on October 28, 2018, 02:34:44 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 28, 2018, 12:12:04 PM
What a pleasant afternoon.
A manita without Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.
L.

Fixed!

Lopetegui still not improving years after his bad spell in Porto, though his end in Madrid will be quicker.

FunkMonk

Spurs and City are playing on a Wembley pitch that hosted an NFL game yesterday and the yard lines are still showing. It's astonishing how small an NFL field is compared to a full-sized soccer pitch.

Feels kind if like of watching an MLS game actually  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 29, 2018, 03:10:55 PM
Spurs and City are playing on a Wembley pitch that hosted an NFL game yesterday and the yard lines are still showing. It's astonishing how small an NFL field is compared to a full-sized soccer pitch.

Feels kind if like of watching an MLS game actually  :lol:

I'm guessing a little less length and very noticeably narrower?

Also would Wembley likely be one of the larger football pitches in UK? Or have the FA/ leagues made some effort to standardise things?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Pretty sure it is the maximum size a football pitch can be, but I might be wrong.

I thought it was up to the individual clubs to decide their pitch sizes.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 29, 2018, 03:21:58 PM
Pretty sure it is the maximum size a football pitch can be, but I might be wrong.

I thought it was up to the individual clubs to decide their pitch sizes.

There are UEFA/FIFA guidelines, at least for international games, i.e should be 105 m x 68 m.

Josephus

I think there are maximum and minimum pitch sizes. Pitch lenghts tend to be pretty consistent, but width does vary
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Maximum is 120 m x 90 m, minimum is 90m x 45 m.

Josquius

Yes.
Teams that favour long ball football go for short pitches whilst passing focussed teams favour bigger pitches.

I think 90x45 is a bit small though. 90 x80 not closer?
██████
██████
██████

dps

I hope England get to host a WC before too long, so the final can be at Wembley.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: dps on October 30, 2018, 04:32:14 PM
I hope England get to host a WC before too long, so the final can be at Wembley.

Last WC was in Russia, UEFA, so you will have to wait for a while, like a dozen years at the minimum.

edit: unless the WC in Qatar is cancelled due to even more than usual instability in the Persian Gulf/Middle East region.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on October 30, 2018, 04:09:52 PM
Yes.
Teams that favour long ball football go for short pitches whilst passing focussed teams favour bigger pitches.

I think 90x45 is a bit small though. 90 x80 not closer?

105 x 68 is UEFA and FIFA recommended. 90x45 is indeed small but is just a theoretical minimum. I don't know any stadium like this.