And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on May 29, 2018, 01:55:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 29, 2018, 09:42:48 AM
I assume the Rwandan president just wanted to be able to hobnob with Arsenal execs.  Because that sounds like a spectacularly bad investment otherwise.

Whether it's a bad investment depends on how much they paid for the advertisement. Given tourism and travel makes up ~12.7% of Rwanda's GDP, promoting it seems a pretty reasonable use of money.

Apparently it was something like $40 million. Tourism in Rwanda generates ~$400 million annually.

I can't evaluate the return on investment of this, but it doesn't seem impossible it will pay off. Just the reactions the sponsorship is generating is getting press without the jerseys seeing the pitch. I'm sure the BBC will run an article at some point, "You've seen the jerseys, but is it really a good idea to visit Rwanda?"
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

I heard Rwanda is doing great these days so maybe it would be a good trip.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

I wonder whether Rwanda and Uganda will try and pick up on "we are wakanda!!!" vibes
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Rwanda is the best Arsenal can do nowadays
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on June 03, 2018, 05:23:39 PM
Lord is out :( :weep:

™ La chatte à Dédé ™ ?

Well, at least Guerrero is back for Peru.  :P

Admiral Yi

Whoever has the US WC rights is marketing them with the slogan "root for your roots."  :homestar:

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2018, 06:42:04 PM
Whoever has the US WC rights is marketing them with the slogan "root for your roots."  :homestar:

Tamas is wildly applauding his beet garden.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

What? I don't want to root for England :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2018, 10:59:37 PM

Root for France, you'll do it anyway.  :P

celedhring

That would have me root for France. Yuck.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on June 07, 2018, 04:15:17 AM
That would have me root for France. Yuck.

Relax, that is so far fetched. You are no Lucas Hernández.:P

Josquius

The sad thing is you just know someone collected over 100k for that.

My rooting is clear.
Henderson and/or Pickford are on the pitch - Berniciaaaaa!
Otherwise- Japan, Sweden, Iceland.
██████
██████
██████

dps

I suppose I'll root for Iceland.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on June 07, 2018, 04:13:02 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2018, 10:59:37 PM

Root for France, you'll do it anyway.  :P

Of course I will -_-