News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

yeah...so it looks like at least one team from Leauge D gets a spot in the Euros.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

The other thing....so in between WQ qualifying, Euro qualifying and this...that's a lot of internationals.
So I guess top tier teams, especially, will be fielding U23s and such for this tournament?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on January 24, 2018, 06:12:53 PM
The other thing....so in between WQ qualifying, Euro qualifying and this...that's a lot of internationals.
So I guess top tier teams, especially, will be fielding U23s and such for this tournament?

This tournament is meant to replace the random international friendlies that teams play throughout the season, so the game load stays the same.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

celedhring

This needs a bump, the Champions League knockouts are on!

Mourinho. :nelson:

Duque de Bragança

You forgot the most important part, Mourinho's post-game analysis:

QuoteMourinho: "I don't want to make a drama of it. That's football, it is not the end of the world. I sit in this chair twice in the CL and knocked Man United out with Porto and Real Madrid so it is not something new for the club.

:lmfao:

Grey Fox

TFC is moving on in the CL.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

Grey Fox

Hopefully we get an all MLS final that way CONCACAF can't fuck us out of that championship once again.

The Larch

Apparently only half the players in the MLS think they understand how the league's transfer and salary rules work.

Grey Fox

What's so complicated/different about it?

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 26, 2018, 10:35:55 AM
What's so complicated/different about it?

It's from an internal MLS poll, this is what the article I took the tidbit from said about it:

QuotePlayers were asked whether they truly understand how General Allocation Money (GAM) and Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) works. Only 50% answered that they do. That is likely reflective of the wider (lack of) understanding of the trade rules, too. In fact, so convoluted are the regulations they have become a source of comedy over the years, although some fans fail to see the funny side when their team is overlooked in the allocation order, sending a big name signing to a more illustrious, glamorous franchise. Look at how Clint Dempsey ended up at Seattle despite Portland apparently holding the rights to have the first shot at signing the US international. Fairly or not, the impression is that MLS sometimes makes up the rules as they go along.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/26/tam-gam-and-trades-why-mls-is-the-worlds-most-overcomplicated-league

Grey Fox

You have assumed the wrong side Larch, I know about TAM & GAM.

I don't know how Europe runs it's salary schemes...

Grey Fox

QuoteSo what can MLS do to untangle the web? Well, for starters, it could fully observe Fifa-recognised breaks. Last week, world soccer took a break for a round of international friendly fixtures, while MLS took a half-break of sorts, with six games played over the weekend. Some teams were without some of their best players. There were six players missing through international duty for Saturday evening's game between the New York Red Bulls and Minnesota United. The LA Galaxy struggled for firepower against Vancouver 24 hours after Ola Kamara had netted a hat-trick for Norway. Playing league fixtures during Fifa-mandated international breaks compromises MLS's integrity. It warps results and, ultimately, positions in the table.

Fucking Bullshit eurocentric argument.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 26, 2018, 10:47:53 AM
You have assumed the wrong side Larch, I know about TAM & GAM.

I don't know how Europe runs it's salary schemes...

We basically don't run it at all, it's mostly free market gone wild.  :P

Now, UEFA's financial fair play rules? Now that's a mistery.