News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Pretty solid Scandinavian representation with Denmark, Sweden, and Iceland all in.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2017, 12:11:35 PM
Quote from: Liep on December 01, 2017, 12:10:10 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2017, 12:06:39 PM
ICeland qualified for the world cup? :huh:

I know they had that monster Euro a few years ago, but I wouldn't have thought they'd continue with that kind of success.

In a year with no Italy and no US, the fact that Iceland made it really stands out.

They won their group iirc. And I like that you didn't mention Holland's absence. :P

I was pretty sure there was another big soccuer country that didn't make it, but couldn't immediately pick out who it was from looking at the countries. :P

Canada.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on December 02, 2017, 01:38:12 AM
Rather than Iceland Panama making it is the bigger shock given North America has fewer places

Not really.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Benfica :nelson:

6 games, 6 defeats. If it did not impact Portugal's UEFA club ranking, this would be hilarious.  Worst performance ever for a Portuguese club.

No remontada for Paris Saint-Germain this time, 3-1 for Bayern so Paris ends first of the group.

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2017, 09:16:36 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 02, 2017, 01:38:12 AM
Rather than Iceland Panama making it is the bigger shock given North America has fewer places

Not really.

Yeah. They got a bye to the fourth round of qualifying with 3.5 places available from 12. And Concacaf really isn't the most competitive of the associations.

Iceland had to qualify from a group of 6 with 1.5 places available

celedhring

See how tiny Panama is? Well, it still has 10x the population of Iceland. That puts it in perspective.

It's the equivalent of a team representing, say, Cleveland making it to the WC.

Valmy

Tiny Central American countries and Caribbean Islands making it into the WC is what CONCACAF is all about.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on December 06, 2017, 10:44:25 AM
Tiny Central American countries and Caribbean Islands making it into the WC is what CONCACAF is all about.

Yeah---basically it generally works out that Mexico and the US are in, and then the remaining 1.5 spots to whatever shit teams are the best. It isn't that unlikely that Panama would take a spot.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: alfred russel on December 06, 2017, 12:43:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 06, 2017, 10:44:25 AM

Yeah---basically it generally works out that Mexico and the US are in, and then the remaining 1.5 spots to whatever shit teams are the best. It isn't that unlikely that Panama would take a spot.

Costa Rica is above shit team status though.  :P

The Larch

My team is selling our starting striker to a Chinese team for 20+ million € this winter. The kid is a 21 yo Uruguayan who just arrived this summer. It's great business but it really saddens me from a sporting perspective, as he is doing great and we could have in our hands a talent for a generation (or at least a couple more years until some big bucks english team came to buy him).

alfred russel

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 06, 2017, 12:47:53 PM

Maybe at this precise moment they are mediocre, but in the long run they are a shit team.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

One of my fondest videogame memories was winning the World Cup with Costa Rica in the Italia 90 videogame.

Liep

Gruppe A: Rom og Baku
Gruppe B: København og Sankt Petersborg
Gruppe C: Amsterdam og Bukarest
Gruppe D: London og Glasgow
Gruppe E: Bilbao og Dublin
Gruppe F: München og Budapest

If both we and Russia qualify for EC2020 we get to be in a group we might advance from! Lots of uncertainties there. :D
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: alfred russel on December 06, 2017, 05:52:37 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 06, 2017, 12:47:53 PM

Maybe at this precise moment they are mediocre, but in the long run they are a shit team.

They qualify regularly for the World Cup, thanks partly to the generous CONCACAF slot allocation.  :P
They made it to quarter finals last time. :contract:

Jacob

I for one am happy to see the smaller teams - like Iceland and Costa Rica - represented in the World Cup. Cinderella stories are much more interesting than the usual heavy-weights battling it out.