Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2017, 10:20:42 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 10, 2017, 04:12:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2017, 03:56:14 PM
La France qualifiée!!

Against the mighty Belarus with a 2-1 victory!  :P

Better than losing to not-so-mighty Trinidad and Tobago 2-1.

More, and back on topic. France gets seeded status for the WC draw, unlike Spain by a mere 8 FIFA points lead, or England and Italy. All of that, thanks to the infamous FIFA ranking and its quirks, this victory and a very unlikely chain of events: defeats of Wales vs Ireland, Switzerland vs Portugal, Chile vs Brazil and Peru tie with Colombia (the latter two are more surprising).
So there is something to rejoice for you. :)
Once again, FIFA ranking system is a mess, putting at a disavantage teams who play (more) friendlies.

This Le Monde article has all the details.

http://www.lemonde.fr/mondial-2018/article/2017/10/11/coupe-du-monde-2018-la-france-miraculeusement-tete-de-serie-malgre-la-fff_5199415_5193650.html

Grey Fox

Why would you advantage teams who play more friendlies? Friendlies are training & cash grab games. Worth nothing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 12, 2017, 07:25:14 AM
Why would you advantage teams who play more friendlies? Friendlies are training & cash grab games. Worth nothing.

I can think of 3 reasons off the top of my head:

1)  You want to encourage teams to play more friendlies.

2)  You're incompetent at designing a ranking system.

3)  Someone bribed you to do it that way.

Given FIFA, those are likely listed in their inverse order of likelihood/importance.

Liep

WC Q Playoffs

Danmark - Irland
Nordirland – Schweiz
Kroatien – Grækenland
Sverige - Italien

I think we've got a good chance of winning the playoffs against Ireland, so maybe finally we'll get to a WC again.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on October 17, 2017, 09:01:29 AM
WC Q Playoffs

Danmark - Irland
Nordirland – Schweiz
Kroatien – Grækenland
Sverige - Italien

I think we've got a good chance of winning the playoffs against Ireland, so maybe finally we'll get to a WC again.

Most people would rather have Irish fans around.  :P Plus, Denmark-Sweden would be so much better and would guarantee a Scandinavian team.  :smarty:

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on October 17, 2017, 09:01:29 AM
WC Q Playoffs

Danmark - Irland
Nordirland – Schweiz
Kroatien – Grækenland
Sverige - Italien

Hopefully  :cool:

Northern Ireland / Switzerland on the other hand  :rolleyes:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on October 17, 2017, 10:17:50 AM
Northern Ireland / Switzerland on the other hand  :rolleyes:

Switzerland should win this one.

Liep

Our good national team is however not so fortunate. :( The union is forfeiting the qualification game against Sweden tomorrow because they won't sign an improved contract that would see the women employed on the same conditions as the men although at a much lower pay.

This results in a disqualification and there's no longer any way to qualify for the Olympics either. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

What does 'same conditions' mean?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2017, 12:12:17 PM

Basically that the Union takes on the role of employer which gives the players certain legal rights as well as the state benefits that comes from having a job.

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on October 17, 2017, 12:18:22 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2017, 12:12:17 PM

Basically that the Union takes on the role of employer which gives the players certain legal rights as well as the state benefits that comes from having a job.

Ah. So what are they now? Basically temps or contract employees or something?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2017, 12:19:18 PM
Ah. So what are they now? Basically temps or contract employees or something?

Something like that, they're not earning a lot from the games and that won't change, but with the new status the good players will have an easier time focusing 100% on football instead of having to work part time elsewhere to make sure they can get benefits during maternity leave, loss of job (injury) or whatever.

Liep

It makes a lot of sense for women's football in Denmark to give them the contract, but I guess the Union still sees women doing sports as a phase.

Ed Anger

Looks like Val will get the Columbus team in Austin in a few years. Columbus is balking at a taxpayer funded stadium downtown.

The old stadium is a whole 18 years old.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive