News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

At least American soccer fans can finally develop an ever-present cynicism about their national team that most of the major soccer nations have.   :D

"I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL W-"

"oh........ "
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on October 11, 2017, 10:08:15 AM
There are probably a dozen countries 1/100th the size of the US that could beat them on a regular basis.

Oh great. Is this the obnoxious ignorant bullshit I have to put up with now?

Feel free to list these dozen countries with three million people or less along with their record against the US. Uruguay maybe but, you know, they have only ever beaten the US once.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on October 11, 2017, 07:44:45 AM
USA reminds me a bit of England. They're like the England of CONCACAF. They think they're a lot better than they are, and feel entitled to win everything and cry when they don't.

The US yawns when the the US teams win at soccer, and yawns when they lose.  The Americans don't think that "they're a lot better than they are," they think that they are a lot ore boring than they (possibly) are.  It is possible that both US soccer fans feel entitled, but if they do, neither is admitting it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Aren't most American soccer fans more fans of rooting for various european countries anyways, rather than their own national team?

Or is that just in Canada, where our national team doesn't ever win anything.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2017, 12:12:19 PM
Aren't most American soccer fans more fans of rooting for various european countries anyways, rather than their own national team?

Or is that just in Canada, where our men national team doesn't ever win anything.

Fixed it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

FunkMonk

Quote from: grumbler on October 11, 2017, 12:06:03 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 11, 2017, 07:44:45 AM
USA reminds me a bit of England. They're like the England of CONCACAF. They think they're a lot better than they are, and feel entitled to win everything and cry when they don't.

The US yawns when the the US teams win at soccer, and yawns when they lose.  The Americans don't think that "they're a lot better than they are," they think that they are a lot ore boring than they (possibly) are.  It is possible that both US soccer fans feel entitled, but if they do, neither is admitting it.

American fans are arrogant and entitled in general but generally that's because we're actually good at basically every other sport except soccer, so yes, American soccer fans are entitled.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 11, 2017, 01:13:45 PM
American fans are arrogant and entitled in general but generally that's because we're actually good at basically every other sport except soccer, so yes, American soccer fans are entitled.

I think we should put a little bit of pressure on our national team to at least be respectable. That requires being entitled and bitching.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

I think most fans around the world have countries they root for besides their own. Even Brazilians and Germans...well maybe not them.

alfred russel

One of the most famous cheers of US soccer fans is repeating over and over: "I believe that we will win."

It is a chant that started because it was so unlikely that the US would actually win. Germany and Brazil don't chant that because it is a dumb chant and they probably have better ones, but also because everyone thinks they will win. An underdog taking on a powerhouse chanting about winning is bold and brazen, but the powerhouse with such a chant is just stupid.

My point being, US fans realize their team is less than top tier on the international stage.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2017, 01:23:04 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on October 11, 2017, 01:13:45 PM

I think we should put a little bit of pressure on our national team to at least be respectable. That requires being entitled and bitching.

That is fair and something I agree with. With the amount of resources at the disposal of the USSF it really is inexcusable to have only 3 wins in the Hex. The players are bad, the coaches are bad, the youth setup is bad (our youth squads haven't made the past 2 Olympics) .

Remember Gulati saying something several years ago to the effect of winning the World Cup in 20 years? :lmfao:

Hopefully this disaster lights a fire and things turn around for 2022 or 2026.

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2017, 12:03:59 PM
There are probably a dozen countries 1/100th the size of the US that could beat them on a regular basis.

Feel free to list these dozen countries with three million people or less along with their record against the US. Uruguay maybe but, you know, they have only ever beaten the US once.

Relax  :)
My side crashed out too, and is possibly lost even deeper in the desert  :hug:

Iceland will kick the crap out of you though  :P

Valmy

Well ok after that last Euro I cannot dispute that  :P

But seriously losing to all those Caribbean and Central American states should not happen. I mean it is going to happen sometimes because it is soccer but it should be rare.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Maladict on October 11, 2017, 02:05:50 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2017, 12:03:59 PM

Relax  :)
My side crashed out too, and is possibly lost even deeper in the desert  :hug:

Iceland will kick the crap out of you though  :P

We will join our brothers from the Netherlands and Chile in football Valhalla.  :cry:

FunkMonk

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2017, 03:02:19 PM
Well ok after that last Euro I cannot dispute that  :P

But seriously losing to all those Caribbean and Central American states should not happen. I mean it is going to happen sometimes because it is soccer but it should be rare.

Yup. In past cycles the US pretty handily qualified. The Hex is basically constructed such that the US and Mexico have a strong chance to at least get to a playoff for a final World Cup berth. The US placed 1st in the Hex in the 2006, 2010, and 2014 qualification cycles.

3 wins in 10 games against teams like TnT, Honduras, and Panama is pretty pathetic. I can honestly forgive losses to Mexico and Costa Rica, historically decent sides.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2017, 01:23:59 PM

I think most fans around the world have countries they root for besides their own. Even Brazilians and Germans...well maybe not them.

Brazilians will root for anybody against Argentina.  :P
Germans? Anybody playing against Italy or the Netherlands, or back in the day, England.  :P