News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Germany qualified with ten wins and the best goal difference ever in Europe. The team hasn't lost a WC qualifier away game in 83 years...

Ed Anger

Did the German coach pick at his butt and smell his hand again?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: PDH on October 08, 2017, 01:58:37 PM
I'm glad Christian Pulisic decided to be from America and not from Croatia.

He's real good. Hopefully he doesn't break before he's 21.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

I always seem to buy him on football manager.

Amazing Altidore plays for the US. And scores. He was recently declared the worst forward in premier league history by a British newspaper
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on October 09, 2017, 12:44:25 AMAmazing Altidore plays for the US. And scores. He was recently declared the worst forward in premier league history by a British newspaper

He was really poor in Spain as well. I guess he needs a team that adapts his system to him and his strengths, and he has that in the US Team.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on October 09, 2017, 05:14:25 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 09, 2017, 12:44:25 AMAmazing Altidore plays for the US. And scores. He was recently declared the worst forward in premier league history by a British newspaper

He was really poor in Spain as well. I guess he needs a team that adapts his system to him and his strengths, and he has that in the US Team.

Or he just needs to play against CONCACAF minnows.

Pulisic's the real deal though. Love him.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 09, 2017, 05:28:50 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 09, 2017, 05:14:25 AM

Or he just needs to play against CONCACAF minnows.

Pulisic's the real deal though. Love him.

That always helps, I guess.  :lol: I believe he was halfway decent in his time in the Netherlands, although that isn't a really challenging league either. I guess he was another victim of the hype machine, Freddy Adu Mk.2 style.

FunkMonk

Altidore is ok playing for the US team. I don't know how well he plays for his MLS squad though. MLS is more his level. His was really really poor when he played for Sunderland.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 09, 2017, 09:02:43 AM
Altidore is ok playing for the US team. I don't know how well he plays for his MLS squad though. MLS is more his level. His was really really poor when he played for Sunderland.

He does pretty well. He normally plays as a target man alongside Sebastian Giovinco. he's better than Defoe was here.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Tomorrow both France and the US might qualify for the World Cup. That would be a good day.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on October 09, 2017, 09:29:14 AM

He does pretty well. He normally plays as a target man alongside Sebastian Giovinco. he's better than Defoe was here.

Which is funny. The general view is that the defoe for Altidore swap was one of the best deals of recent years, an absolute steal.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Well at least we get to root for Iceland again  :)

dps

Altidore is ok playing for the US team. I don't know how well he plays for his MLS squad though. MLS is more his level.

He's still viewed as not living up to his potential.  Though that's probably a bit unfair;  expectations for him at the start of his professional career were unrealistically high.

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on October 09, 2017, 11:18:15 AM
Quote from: Josephus on October 09, 2017, 09:29:14 AM

Which is funny. The general view is that the defoe for Altidore swap was one of the best deals of recent years, an absolute steal.

it probably was for Sunderland. But Dafoe never really took to Toronto. He was injured, cried for his mommy a lot, and was seeking treatment in England often. He was excited at first but it became obvious he lost interest about half way through the season.
Altidore is probably, no certainly, a less talented player, but he's been in MLS before, knew what was required of him, and more importantly, was happy to be here.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: dps on October 09, 2017, 05:37:49 PM
Altidore is ok playing for the US team. I don't know how well he plays for his MLS squad though. MLS is more his level.

He's still viewed as not living up to his potential.  Though that's probably a bit unfair;  expectations for him at the start of his professional career were unrealistically high.
By who? this year, in 25 games, he's scored 13 times and has six assists. Not bad, considering he's not the team's #1 striker.
In last year's playoff run he scored 5 goals in six games.
Civis Romanus Sum