And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on August 04, 2017, 08:07:52 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 04, 2017, 07:38:27 AM
If North American football wants more WCs on their soil, they should invest in bribes rather than trying to make me stop dissing it.  :P

Hey! Qatar and Russia have amazed the world with their quality soccer for decades.

Russia is the heir of the Soviet Union, at least in football  :P, plus one of their clubs managed to win an European cup, something not even done during Soviet times. National squad can only improve!
At least, Russian summers allow football to be played.

Plus, even Germany had to bribe the FIFA to get their World Cup in 2006.

Qatar is in another league (pun intended).

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on August 04, 2017, 08:07:52 AM
If North American football wants more WCs on their soil, they should invest in bribes rather than trying to make me stop dissing it.  :P

Hey! Qatar and Russia have amazed the world with their quality soccer for decades.

They only needed to amaze FIFA with their bribes.

Liep

Quote from: mongers on August 03, 2017, 06:11:39 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 03, 2017, 02:47:36 PM
Final! :w00t:

:cool:

Well done, though England went down rather hard.  :(

It has its downsides. All politicians are using it to either show that they're feminist enough to like women's football or anti-racist/racist enough to like/not like that our star player is an afghan refugee.

It's tiring.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Quote from: katmai on August 04, 2017, 07:56:06 AM
Say what you will, the MLS is a retirement league, a dead end, and he's 22.
:lmfao:

The MLS should really get working on that image.

but no matter, MLS is more fun to watch than the Premier League.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

The notion that MLS is a retirement league is getting rather old. MLS has improved a lot in 10 years. It's not Premier League or Serie A and does not pretend to be but it has become competitive with second tier Euro leagues. And Sebastian Giovinco, for instance, is nowhere near ready to retire.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on August 04, 2017, 10:48:06 AM
The notion that MLS is a retirement league is getting rather old. MLS has improved a lot in 10 years. It's not Premier League or Serie A and does not pretend to be but it has become competitive with second tier Euro leagues. And Sebastian Giovinco, for instance, is nowhere near ready to retire.

And Giovinco lost his spot in the Italian national team for the Euro 2016 because of his move to the MLS.

Grey Fox

That's Euroweenie bullshit being butthurt because the American league is now competition. Same thing happened with Drogba & the coaching debacle in Chelsea but MLS has weight & FIFA stood behind it's #1 money source.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 04, 2017, 11:02:24 AMDrogba & the coaching debacle in Chelsea

I don't even know what you're talking about.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on August 04, 2017, 11:21:22 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 04, 2017, 11:02:24 AMDrogba & the coaching debacle in Chelsea

Chelsea wanted to make him a Coach but he still had a contract as a player for 1 more year. Drogba wasn't willing to retire to get out of it. So the FA & Chelsea tried to brow beat the MLS into releasing him. MLS went to FIFA, FIFA told Chelsea to fuck off. Drogba finished his contract, now plays in Arizona.

celedhring

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 04, 2017, 11:02:24 AM
That's Euroweenie bullshit being butthurt because the American league is now competition. Same thing happened with Drogba & the coaching debacle in Chelsea but MLS has weight & FIFA stood behind it's #1 money source.

Now you're really being delusional. No, the MLS isn't competition for any serious European league. Sure, you can throw around enough money so a Juventus reject can sign for one of your top teams instead of lingering in the mid table of Serie A, but that doesn't make a strong league. Even Turkish teams can do that and nobody considers the Turkish league competition for anything.

Show me a regular influx of players that go from the continent to the MLS when their careers are on the up instead of going down, and then we can talk.

I'm also of the opinion that the MLS should throw more money at the local talent instead of buying European hasbeens, too, but that's besides the point. The MLS will never compete for the great athletic talent in North America if you throw millions at Pirlo or Drogba while the wage for youth prospects in MLS teams is barely a living wage.

Grey Fox

It's not close to being able to compete with any European 1st division but lots of 2nd & 3rd division players play in the MLS.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 04, 2017, 11:43:45 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 04, 2017, 11:21:22 AM

Chelsea wanted to make him a Coach but he still had a contract as a player for 1 more year. Drogba wasn't willing to retire to get out of it. So the FA & Chelsea tried to brow beat the MLS into releasing him. MLS went to FIFA, FIFA told Chelsea to fuck off. Drogba finished his contract, now plays in Arizona.

Never even heard of that.

Liep

Our national team got the nickname Danish Dynamite when we had a great team in the 80's with Elkjær, Laudrup, Arnesen, etc. So naturally our female national team needs a name too now that they're playing terrific.

Suggestions so far: Powerladies, Powerpigerne, Powerkvinderne, Powergirls. Ughh.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

dps

I doubt that MLS is investing anything in trying to make you personally stop dissing them.

If they are, they need to stop that.

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on August 05, 2017, 10:04:16 AM
Our national team got the nickname Danish Dynamite when we had a great team in the 80's with Elkjær, Laudrup, Arnesen, etc. So naturally our female national team needs a name too now that they're playing terrific.

Suggestions so far: Powerladies, Powerpigerne, Powerkvinderne, Powergirls. Ughh.

So it's probably better if you lose tomorrow against the Lionesses.  :menace: