And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2017, 08:15:26 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 10, 2017, 08:09:19 AM
Check again, before WWII. Hint: Ed's teacher but Ed surpassed him.

Oh right. That one probably better fits the mold as Argentina's government had only been in power a short time in 1978.

Plus Mexico in 1970 and 1986 was not exactly a democracy though nowhere near as bad as those two.
1970 was possibly the greatest world cup ever, and 1986, despite organisation problems linked to corruption, was not that bad.

Liep

Quote from: Syt on January 10, 2017, 07:46:33 AM
So, the coming highlights:

- World Cup 2018 in Russia
- UEFA European Championship 2020 in 13 different countries
- Christmas World Cup 2022 in Qatar
- 48 team World Cup in 2026

Meanwhile UEFA will lock in half the Champions' League starting spots for the 4 largest leagues in Europe, cementing a disparity between the haves and have nots in the European league system while meekly trying to talk up their losers' cup tournament.

:)
:)
:ultra:
:ultra:
:angry:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Hey Liep, my team has bought (yet another) Danish player, this one called Andrew Hjulsager, from Brondby and the Danish U21 team. What can you tell me about him?

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on February 01, 2017, 08:44:35 AM
Hey Liep, my team has bought (yet another) Danish player, this one called Andrew Hjulsager, from Brondby and the Danish U21 team. What can you tell me about him?

Nothing, never seen him play. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Commentators will say his name funny
██████
██████
██████

Liep

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on February 01, 2017, 10:16:21 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 01, 2017, 08:44:35 AM

Nothing, never seen him play. :P

You're failing me as a source of intel on the strategic Danish market, Liep.  :P

dps

Well, North Carolina FC formally applied to become an expansion team in MLS yesterday.  The league is likely to add 4 clubs, and there are apparently about a dozen cities competing for the slots.

NCFC is based in the Triangle (they've been in NASL as the Carolina Railhawks).  There was a group in Charlotte trying to bring MLS there, but it seems they have dropped out.  That's good;  I can't see MLS awarding 2 of the 4 expansion bids to cities in NC, and having Raleigh and Charlotte both in the running would have likely meant that neither were selected.

Liep

celedhring

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

what the hell just happened in Paris? :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on February 14, 2017, 06:14:09 PM
Quote from: Josephus on February 14, 2017, 05:46:36 PM
what the hell just happened in Paris? :lol:

Glory. Glory happened.

St Valentin's Massacre for the Barça in the ™City of Love.™
Hell, even Benfica managed to win, if tenuously, against Dortmund.

Syt

Commentary on a German website this morning: "At last, Arsenal plays as well as Barcelona." :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.