News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Tamas on November 16, 2016, 06:37:43 AM
I think dictatorships work well for national football team performance. Hungary got off the ground as the politics have become darker (and they were on top of the world while the nightmare of the 50s were happening back home), and Poland is flying since they have the potatohead back in charge

The Italians did great during the Mussolini years
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zanza

Klinsmann fired by US Soccer. Thoughts?

dps

Quote from: Zanza on November 21, 2016, 04:29:06 PM

Well, losing to Costa Rica isn't going to help anyone's job security.  But no one else has ever really done any better with the team overall, and I don't know who they can get that will do as well.  According to ESPN, the rumor is that they'll bring back Bruce Arena.  I don't see why you'd do that.  Not that Arena is necessarily a bad coach, but he had his shot with the national team already.

Josephus

Quote from: dps on November 21, 2016, 05:04:27 PM

Well, losing to Costa Rica isn't going to help anyone's job security.  But no one else has ever really done any better with the team overall, and I don't know who they can get that will do as well.  According to ESPN, the rumor is that they'll bring back Bruce Arena.  I don't see why you'd do that.  Not that Arena is necessarily a bad coach, but he had his shot with the national team already.

Ticos are a pretty good team, that was always going to be a tough fixture...for anybody really.

I think the issue more is that the team has not gotten any better under Klinsmann overall.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

dps

Quote from: Josephus on November 21, 2016, 05:32:43 PM

Ticos are a pretty good team, that was always going to be a tough fixture...for anybody really.

I think the issue more is that the team has not gotten any better under Klinsmann overall.

Fair enough.  I'd agree that the team hasn't gotten any better overall, and he wasn't hired to deliver more of the same.  But if the team had won the Costa Rica match, he wouldn't have been let go.

Admiral Yi

I'm not really qualified to judge if the managing or the material were poor.

katmai

Trump effect taking hold!

:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

As technical director he hasn't helped improve the team from youth on down. I have no issues with him being let go.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

Quote from: dps on November 21, 2016, 05:45:09 PM

Fair enough.  I'd agree that the team hasn't gotten any better overall, and he wasn't hired to deliver more of the same.  But if the team had won the Costa Rica match, he wouldn't have been let go.

No manager gets fired after WINNING a game, no.
Civis Romanus Sum

Zanza

Quote from: Josephus on November 22, 2016, 09:42:05 AM
Jupp Heynckes was once fired by Real Madrid right after winning the fucking Champions League final.  :wacko:

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on November 22, 2016, 03:39:07 PM
Jupp Heynckes was once fired by Real Madrid right after winning the fucking Champions League final.  :wacko:

And Bayern!

Zanza

Kinda. He had already been "fired" in January when they announced Pep as his successor. But yeah, I guess he's the only manager who lost a job twice after winning the Champions League.

Maladict

Yeah, losing against the best team in the group shouldn't be grounds for dismissal.

Josephus

Quote from: Zanza on November 22, 2016, 03:39:07 PM

..mmm not quite the same thing. And that was the end of a season.
Civis Romanus Sum

Liep

FC Copenhagen's fans had a message to UEFA at last night's game against Porto. :lol:

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk