News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 16, 2016, 06:09:42 AM
Just saw that the US lost again, this time vs Costa-Rica 4-0. Trump effect?  :lol:

If Trump had spent a little more time on football during the campaign they would've won bigly.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 16, 2016, 06:09:42 AM
Just saw that the US lost again, this time vs Costa-Rica 4-0. Trump effect?  :lol:

We just don't win anymore
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

I think dictatorships work well for national football team performance. Hungary got off the ground as the politics have become darker (and they were on top of the world while the nightmare of the 50s were happening back home), and Poland is flying since they have the potatohead back in charge

celedhring

Dunno, we won a bucketload of trophies with possibly the meekest soc-dem government Spain has ever had.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on November 16, 2016, 06:37:43 AM
I think dictatorships work well for national football team performance. Hungary got off the ground as the politics have become darker (and they were on top of the world while the nightmare of the 50s were happening back home), and Poland is flying since they have the potatohead back in charge

I don't like the incompetent Costa government yet this dictatorship bonus sounds too hard for Portugal.  :P

Josquius

Not sure there.  Hungarys history as a top footballing nation go back to the Austro-Hungarian days from what I've read.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Czechia - Denmark sets new record for fewest spectators ever for a Danish national team football game. Only 1763 came out to the game in Mlada Boleslaw.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on November 16, 2016, 05:58:35 PM
Czechia - Denmark sets new record for fewest spectators ever for a Danish national team football game. Only 1763 came out to the game in Mlada Boleslaw.

So is Czechia actually taking off in the English-speaking world?

Czech Republic was always kind of awkward, but it has 25 years of history behind it at this point.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Quote from: Barrister on November 16, 2016, 06:04:28 PM
Quote from: Liep on November 16, 2016, 05:58:35 PM

So is Czechia actually taking off in the English-speaking world?

Czech Republic was always kind of awkward, but it has 25 years of history behind it at this point.

I'm not from the English-speaking world though, I like it because it's more similar to the Danish name for it "Tjekkiet" and as you say Czech Republic is a little awkward.

EDIT: I haven't seen it in use anywhere but in the article that said it hadn't been a successful rebranding. :P

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on November 16, 2016, 09:48:10 AM
Not sure there.  Hungarys history as a top footballing nation go back to the Austro-Hungarian days from what I've read.

I am not sure, but I am sure it could not had compared to the run we had in the first half of the 50s. The lost WC final in '54 is a national trauma ever since.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on November 17, 2016, 07:30:04 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 16, 2016, 09:48:10 AM

I am not sure, but I am sure it could not had compared to the run we had in the first half of the 50s. The lost WC final in '54 is a national trauma ever since.
I read a book about the history of football tactics. ( :boring: ) and a lot of the early innovation before and after ww1 seems to go back to Scottish coaches in Vienna and Budapest.

But then I guess go back that far and everyone outside the UK was shit, it was just in degrees. But that's the roots.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Was that Inverting the Pyramid?

Josquius

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 18, 2016, 12:31:24 PM
Was that Inverting the Pyramid?
Yes.
I say I read it... I actually lost interest around 1960.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

It's a good book. Very interesting read.  :)