News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on November 12, 2016, 06:01:44 PM
Since the Europe-Asia split is pretty arbitrary anyway we should really redefine it to be at Russia's western border (Kalingrad excluded).

I thought the Urals were chosen as they're quite a significant watershed and also the gateway to the uncolonised lands of Siberia, I think at the time the Urals were quite a barrier, think Appalachian mountains?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Since the Europe-Asia split is pretty arbitrary anyway we should really redefine it to be at Russia's western border (Kalingrad excluded).

That'll show 'em!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on November 12, 2016, 06:13:39 PM

I thought the Urals were chosen as they're quite a significant watershed and also the gateway to the uncolonised lands of Siberia, I think at the time the Urals were quite a barrier, think Appalachian mountains?

I believe it's just a geographer firmly asked by Peter the Great to come up with an idea.  :P

Tyr

What about the Caucasus or rather South Caucasus? Azerbaijan inside does not make much sense too.

Zanza

QuoteSan Marino officials have demanded an apology from Germany forward Thomas Muller, who made comments about the team following an 8-0 win on Friday.

Muller said that playing a "team of amateurs" in the World Cup qualifier put German players at risk of injury, and Bayern Munich chief Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said "San Marino has nothing to do with professional football".

Müller and Rummenigge have a point there. What's the point of a "competitive" game against San Marino?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on November 15, 2016, 02:07:32 PM
QuoteSan Marino officials have demanded an apology from Germany forward Thomas Muller, who made comments about the team following an 8-0 win on Friday.

Muller said that playing a "team of amateurs" in the World Cup qualifier put German players at risk of injury, and Bayern Munich chief Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said "San Marino has nothing to do with professional football".

Müller and Rummenigge have a point there. What's the point of a "competitive" game against San Marino?

Letting new players (B-squad) get a taste of "competitive" play.  :P

Liep

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 15, 2016, 02:23:11 PM
Quote from: Zanza on November 15, 2016, 02:07:32 PM

Letting new players (B-squad) get a taste of "competitive" play.  :P

We're forced to play with the B-squad against Czechia because the regulars couldn't be bother to play a friendly match. The unity on our national team is none existent.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Fuck this International Fifa week. It's interrupting the MLS playoffs for no good reason.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

And we're behind, only 83 minutes to go.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on November 15, 2016, 02:33:05 PM

We're forced to play with the B-squad against Czechia because the regulars couldn't be bother to play a friendly match. The unity on our national team is none existent.

Can't the superstars of the Danish team play at least a half-time? I mean, Cristiano Ronaldo does at least that, if not more.  ;)

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 15, 2016, 02:34:28 PM
Fuck this International Fifa week. It's interrupting the MLS playoffs for no good reason.

I hear you man. And TFC is gonna kick some Impact ass.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 15, 2016, 02:51:39 PM

Can't the superstars of the Danish team play at least a half-time? I mean, Cristiano Ronaldo does at least that, if not more.  ;)

Problem is the talent is taught that if you want to be a footballer you should leave Denmark as soon as humanly possible so the sense of national duty is lost it seems. Some even take it to the extreme, eg. Emre Mor. :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on November 15, 2016, 03:02:16 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 15, 2016, 02:51:39 PM

Problem is the talent is taught that if you want to be a footballer you should leave Denmark as soon as humanly possible so the sense of national duty is lost it seems. Some even take it to the extreme, eg. Emre Mor. :P

It is very nice indeed to see an immigrant's son fulfulling his father's dream, going back to the old country. :D

Duque de Bragança

I am watching, Yi-style, the friendly game between France and Ivory Coast.  :zzz
Wake up a bit when Payet got himself some deserved rough play.

The Larch

Our homeboy Iago Aspas debuted yesterday in Wembley with the Spanish national team for the game against England, scoring one goal on his first game.  :) Liverpool fans must still be scratching their heads.  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Just saw that the US lost again, this time vs Costa-Rica 4-0. Trump effect?  :lol: