News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 26, 2022, 12:32:12 PMSoccer Canada had scheduled a friendly to take place in Vancouver between Canada and Iran. Apparently the organizers forgot that Iran shot down a commercial air liner a little over two years ago which contained about 80 Canadians and permanent residents of Canada, many of whom lived in North Vancouver.

It has now been cancelled.

And Iran is suing for lots of moolah. Or mullah.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

I hope we beat Iran 10-0 in December.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Crowd control problems at the CL final is delaying kick off.

Wtf Paris? Wtf UEFA?

Duque de Bragança

Started well enough with a partial strike on a train line to the stadium. :P
Luckily, there is another train line (think Crossrail/S-Bahn), a metro line plus buses.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 28, 2022, 02:20:10 PMCrowd control problems at the CL final is delaying kick off.

Wtf Saint-Denis? Wtf UEFA?

Fixed!

TV says there are still problems at the stadium gates with both Scouse and « local » suburban hoodlums.

Liep

I've just read that fans with tickets have been shut out and pepper sprayed when they wouldn't leave since they had waited in line for hours. Way to fuck up a great night, UEFA.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Yeah, seems very fucked up.
Reminds me of when I went to watch Sunderland play Dijon for a pre season friendly in Evian...
Armed riot police at the entrance confiscating all the tops from people's water bottles.
The French police seem to really into over policing football. Is it just with British involvement or always?
Sucks for the Liverpool fans so much.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

FunkMonk

Don Carlo Ancelotti, true to his Evertonian roots. 

Much respect to the Don  :beer: :ccr

Sheilbh

:lol: All is forgiven :blush:

Someone posted it but extraordinary career to win a European cup in every decade since the 80s.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Madrid didn't deserve it overall. Liverpool should have put the game away during the 1st half.

FunkMonk

Can't agree. I dislike RM but in the knockout rounds they beat PSG, Chelsea, Manchester City, and Liverpool to win the CL. Fair fucks, that is a legendary run.

Liverpool got through Inter in the Round of 16 and glided past Benfica and Villareal to get to the final. Essentially Europa league teams  :lol:

Also I just think it's funny  :lol:

Josquius

I couldnt see the game, it was locked away on pay per view and I didn't care/have time/influence enough to pay/work around....

But from the highlights it seems Liverpool indeed should have won. Very unlucky. Though also true Madrid had the easier run in.

Completely off topic... But I've been doing a bit of research into the history of the term geordie (somewhat more thinking of doing research), trying to track down some sources I remember seeing a while ago when Sunderland people were called geordies pre John Hall and nobody much minded.... The rather interesting base hypothesis is one that it seems originally, back in the early 19th century, the term was explicitly used to mean someone NOT from Newcastle....

Anyway. One thing that I've noticed in the modern day and annoys me is the media referring to Newcastle Utd fans as geordies. Which is just wrong.
I wonder, mainly at Sheilbh as I guess he's most alert to this, has anyone noticed Liverpool FC/it's fans being called scouser as a cover all, neglecting many scousers aren't Liverpool fans?
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Disagree on Liverpool deserving the win. Courtois was colossal on goal and stopped every single shot Liverpool took. R. Madrid had fewer chances but they managed to score and should have probably been awarded the disalowed goal at the end of the 1st half.

Josephus

As I've said before Liverpool have struggled offensively the past couple months. Salah, especially.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011