News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hess Buried At Sea

Started by jimmy olsen, July 21, 2011, 08:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Football is a disagreeable sport; if only the Serbs had been converted to cricket..............there would have been no genocide  :hmm:

sbr

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 22, 2011, 04:25:41 PM
Did you hear about the Polish Admiral who wanted to be buried at sea when he died?

Five sailors died digging his grave.

:D

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on July 22, 2011, 01:24:13 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2011, 12:57:34 PM
What happens in the US to old graves of people nobody remembers and cares about? Are they ever turned over so new people can be buried there,

I've never heard of this happening.  Sometimes they're moved so the property can be developed, but I don't know about re-using the same plots for new burials.
Wasn't there a big scandal in the last couple of years at some cemetery (in Virginia I think) where they reused a lot burial plots? IIRC the owner was arrested for desecrating graves, fraud, etc.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Norgy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2011, 04:33:56 PM

I think that Serb Militia, Arkan's Tigers started off as a bunch of Football hooligans.  Unpleasant bunch.

Correct. They were indeed present at the game that to many marked the start of the civil war in Yugoslavia and attacked the Dinamo Zagreb players. Zvonimir Boban of Dinamo managed to get a few kicks in as well.

When Arkan died, his close friend Sinisa Mihajlovic, a very good player, but appalling human being, applauded a tribute made by SS Lazio fans.

Football and politics are a dangerous brew.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Norgy on July 23, 2011, 05:57:46 AM
Football and politics are a dangerous brew.

Of all the squirrelly ass sports...

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2011, 01:09:20 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2011, 01:03:57 PMBuild a new cemetery.  We have at least one cemetery that is filled where I live.  No idea who maintains it.  It's a Catholic cemetery so possibly the church.  There's a veterans cemetery but I think that one is maintained by the Feds.

Makes sense if you're only worrying about a few hundred years worth of graves, but once you've been burying people for thousands of years you'll likely not want to figure out ways to pay for maintaining all the graves even if you have the room.

I'm mildly surprised by this cultural difference.

Oh... or is there maybe some sort of equivalent of a "homeowners association" for the graveyards, so even though you own the land there's a maintenance fee or something?
North America is a pretty big place.

That said, embalming people and burying them is inherently evil.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on July 22, 2011, 08:31:21 AM
Completely different. The Americans went in and executed Bin Laden without bringing him to trial.
Yeah the Americans did that to a coupla hundred thousand German soldiers in both World wars, too.  Didn't even bring 'em to trial.  Just shot them.  :mad:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!