US government under-fire for study on gay men's penis size

Started by Martinus, July 20, 2011, 01:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteUS government under-fire for study linking penis size to whether gay men 'top' or 'bottom'

The United States government has come under fire for funding a study into how the size of a gay man's penis size effects his sex life and general well-being with particular focus on whether penis size results in the decision to be a 'top' or a 'bottom'.

The study by the National Institutes of Health resulted in a 2009 report entitled 'The Association Between Penis Size and Sexual Health Among Men Who Have Sex with Men.'

Among the findings of the study were that gay and bisexual men with a "below average" sized penis would assume a "bottom" sexual position, while those with an "above average" sized penis would generally be a "top". Those with an "average" sized penis identified themselves as "versatile".

It is unclear exactly how much the study cost to conduct, although some newspapers report that it formed part of a $899,769 research grant. The data for the study originated from a survey of more than 1,000 gay and bisexual men at events in New York City.

There are conflicting reports over whether the funding extended meerly to anaylising the results of the surveys or conducting them also. "The data were not collected using taxpayer funds," Jeffrey Parsons, a professor with Hunter College said in an email to Fox News. "NIH funds were not used to measure anyone's penis size."

"This country is broke and we cannot spend money on this kind of stuff," Andrea Lafferty, president of the Traditional Values Coalition said, branding it as an example of "institutional waste" adding that the study was "wacky." The organisation originally stated that the study cost $9.4m to conduct, a claim that has since been discredited.

:D

Martinus

This could actually explain why I am not into bottoming. Perhaps I'm an unrealized top?  :hmm:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

I imagine that at the very least the tops care about shit.

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on July 20, 2011, 01:43:16 AM
Why do you think anyone here cares about this shit?

I think the study itself is sort of interesting.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on July 20, 2011, 02:07:29 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 20, 2011, 01:43:16 AM
Why do you think anyone here cares about this shit?

I think the study itself is sort of interesting.

You fund it yourself, then. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quotea survey of more than 1,000 gay and bisexual men at events in New York City

Sounds like a slow month for some of the gay guys I've known.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien