News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Eidetic Memory

Started by Viking, July 18, 2011, 12:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

otherwise known as photographic memory. This seems to be an all to common trope in fiction. I've done some superficial research into the topic and I don't get the impression that there is such a thing as photographic memory. I think all practitioners of improved memory are using memory skills (mnemonics etc.) rather than some sort of super memory.

I've always been skeptical about the entire concept. My experience of memory is that it is a set of stories and relationships rather than fact storage. When I am trying to recall a fact I do so by thinking about facts that might be related, f.eks. in the GOT thread I was trying to remember the name of Myrcella, which I had temporarily forgotten. I tried thinking about Tommen, who's name I had also forgotten, so that didn't work. Then I went through Balon Swann, Prince Doran, Sunspear and when I got to The Water Gardens it popped into my head. Once I thought about Myrcella then Tommen's name came back to me as well.

Has anybody any reason to demonstrate that there is such a thing as eidetic memory or any source I can look at that supports the concept. Right now I'm inclined to declare this myth busted on the grounds of no supporting evidence existing.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

LaCroix

this reminds me of when someone here said they thought dyslexia didn't exist. of course there are those who have photographic memories. a professor with aspergers i know has this. she has read a book every day since thirteen, sometimes two. she scans the page "like a photocopier" and then "reads it" later--often when she sleeps (lucid dreaming). she worked at an archive in britain for some time, and to this day people will call her up and ask where a certain file might be located. she has said it usually takes a moment for her to "flip" through the pages in her memory before she can find it, but otherwise she has little difficulty with it

Viking

Quote from: LaCroix on July 18, 2011, 12:16:26 AM
this reminds me of when someone here said they thought dyslexia didn't exist. of course there are those who have photographic memories. a professor with aspergers i know has this. she has read a book every day since thirteen, sometimes two. she scans the page "like a photocopier" and then "reads it" later--often when she sleeps (lucid dreaming). she worked at an archive in britain for some time, and to this day people will call her up and ask where a certain file might be located. she has said it usually takes a moment for her to "flip" through the pages in her memory before she can find it, but otherwise she has little difficulty with it

do you have a source for that info? or more interestingly a study on the topic or the person.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

LaCroix

just what she has explained in person. a google search reveals nothing in particular. she also said various universities (she didn't specify which ones, and i didn't ask) have scans of her brain on file. and no, she is simply not the sort of person who would be lying or exaggerating

Eddie Teach

Quote from: LaCroix on July 18, 2011, 12:16:26 AM
this reminds me of when someone here said they thought dyslexia didn't exist.

It's just an excuse for sloppy spelling.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

remember, just because you cannot do it, doesn't mean no one else can. we do not all think the same way, not by a long shot

@wiggin: it's a cruel joke that dyslexia is called/spelled the way it is :lol:

jimmy olsen

There was an article in National Geographic that talked about this a few years ago. It made it sound like an absolute curse. I'll try to see if I can find it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

citizen k

Quote from: Viking on July 18, 2011, 12:11:12 AM
I think all practitioners of improved memory are using memory skills (mnemonics etc.) rather than some sort of super memory.

Savants? They don't use mnemonics.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Brazen

This autistic artist recreates entire cityscapes accurately from memory. Click through the gallery.

http://www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk/

The Brain

Quote from: citizen k on July 18, 2011, 01:46:34 AM
I think all practitioners of improved memory are using memory skills (mnemonics etc.) rather than some sort of super memory.

Savants?

:bleeding: PC gone mad.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: LaCroix on July 18, 2011, 12:24:10 AM
remember, just because you cannot do it, doesn't mean no one else can. we do not all think the same way, not by a long shot

Sure. Telepathy, telekinesis, mind control, it's all within the realm of the possible. Remember we only use 3% of our brain, typically. I once spoke to a woman who claimed her dog was her spiritual guardian from Venus, and that she was from another galaxy. It's all within the realm of the possible, nay perhaps even plausible.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on July 18, 2011, 03:42:03 AM
Quote from: citizen k on July 18, 2011, 01:46:34 AM

Savants?

:bleeding: PC gone mad.

:D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Slargos on July 18, 2011, 04:16:46 AMI once spoke to a woman who claimed her dog was her spiritual guardian from Venus, and that she was from another galaxy. It's all within the realm of the possible, nay perhaps even plausible.

Kinda like how Swedes sometimes think they're German, or Canadians think they're Americans but without the air conditioning.

DGuller

Quote from: Slargos on July 18, 2011, 04:16:46 AM
Remember we only use 3% of our brain, typically.
Not all of us, just the people who believe that myth.