News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I need a Latin-speaking Fallout 3 fan...

Started by grumbler, July 17, 2011, 06:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

To tell me how to say the following things in something like Latin (i.e. extrapolate what the Latin "would be"):
1. Computer terminal
2.  First Aid kit
3.  Locker
4.  Generator
5.  "Power down" (as a computer terminal command)
6.  "Ignite/ignition" (as a computer terminal command)
7.  "No power" (as a computer terminal message)

The latin has to be clear enough that a non-Latin-speaker can translate it; that's more important than any accuracy in Latin.  If one of the above simply cannot be translated into this faux Latin, that's okay.

This is for a FO3 mod that supposes an alternate world in which Rome survived and runs a parallel earth with about the same tech level as the world of Fallout 3.  The mod is "Quest for Heaven 3" if anyone cares.

Anyone want to take on this challenge?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

chipwich

Why did they create a Rome Themed mod if no one on the team speaks latin?

grumbler

Quote from: chipwich on July 17, 2011, 06:56:31 AM
Why did they create a Rome Themed mod if no one on the team speaks latin?
It's not a Roman-themed mod.  It's a mod that has a moment where the player encounters the remnants of a modernized Roman civilization.  Basically, the player accidently gets stranded and needs to reactivate some equipment in this Roman parallel world to get back to the story of the mod.  Currently the game uses placeholders like "terminus" for "computer terminal" and the like.  I thought maybe someone here would enjoy coming up with something better.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Considering that language changes over time and that Latin as spoken during the Republic, the Imperial period, the Middle Ages etc. are somewhat different from one another (or so the professor in the Latin course I attended for the first few lessons said), I think you can get away with quite a bit and handwave it as "language changes". Maybe even have the character comment how different it is from the Latin he learned at school/in ye olden scriptures.

Google translator also offers Latin now.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on July 17, 2011, 07:30:22 AM
Considering that language changes over time and that Latin as spoken during the Republic, the Imperial period, the Middle Ages etc. are somewhat different from one another (or so the professor in the Latin course I attended for the first few lessons said), I think you can get away with quite a bit and handwave it as "language changes". Maybe even have the character comment how different it is from the Latin he learned at school/in ye olden scriptures.

You guys are wayyyy over-thinking this.

Google translate gives "primum auxilium" for "first aid," which is too literal, which is why I started this thread. 

Bayraktar!

Scipio

For first aid, I'm thinking of translating from the Russian (skoroe pomoshch) into the Latin- celer curatio (quick healing)
Computer- abacus mechanicus (mechanical abacus)
Locker- alveus ferrus (iron box)
Generator- fusus fulminis (lightning spindle)
power down- exfulmine
ignition- enfulmine
no power- difulmine
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ed Anger

QuoteYou guys are wayyyy over-thinking this.

Hi! Welcome to Languish.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Scipio on July 17, 2011, 08:00:27 AM
For first aid, I'm thinking of translating from the Russian (skoroe pomoshch) into the Latin- celer curatio (quick healing)
Computer- abacus mechanicus (mechanical abacus)
Locker- alveus ferrus (iron box)
Generator- fusus fulminis (lightning spindle)
power down- exfulmine
ignition- enfulmine
no power- difulmine
Thanks, Scip.  That's just what i was looking for.

Bayraktar!

Pishtaco

1. computatrum (for computer - I don't know what terminal would be)
2. auxilium primum - (aux. prim. ?)
3. depositorium - (or "capsa", which is better but probably harder to understand)
4. dynamon
5. occludere/extinguere
6. inflammare / incendere
7. Not sure about this.  "vis nulla" or "sine vi" might do, but do not sound like good Latin to me. "vis occlusa" - "the power (has been) shut off"?

There's some of this stuff on Latin wikipedia
http://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computatrum
also
http://facweb.furman.edu/~dmorgan/lexicon/silva.htm
http://commons.wvc.edu/sberard/boreoccidentales/latin/Scitu%20Digna/Vocabulorum%20Computatralium.aspx
http://artflx.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/search3t?dgdivhead=vis&dbname=lewisandshort

Quote from: grumbler on July 17, 2011, 06:55:13 AM
To tell me how to say the following things in something like Latin (i.e. extrapolate what the Latin "would be"):
1. Computer terminal
2.  First Aid kit
3.  Locker
4.  Generator

The latin has to be clear enough that a non-Latin-speaker can translate it; that's more important than any accuracy in Latin.  If one of the above simply cannot be translated into this faux Latin, that's okay.

This is for a FO3 mod that supposes an alternate world in which Rome survived and runs a parallel earth with about the same tech level as the world of Fallout 3.  The mod is "Quest for Heaven 3" if anyone cares.

Scipio

Quote from: Pishtaco on July 17, 2011, 10:46:14 AM
1. computatrum (for computer - I don't know what terminal would be)
2. auxilium primum - (aux. prim. ?)
3. depositorium - (or "capsa", which is better but probably harder to understand)
4. dynamon
5. occludere/extinguere
6. inflammare / incendere
7. Not sure about this.  "vis nulla" or "sine vi" might do, but do not sound like good Latin to me. "vis occlusa" - "the power (has been) shut off"?

There's some of this stuff on Latin wikipedia
http://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computatrum
also
http://facweb.furman.edu/~dmorgan/lexicon/silva.htm
http://commons.wvc.edu/sberard/boreoccidentales/latin/Scitu%20Digna/Vocabulorum%20Computatralium.aspx
http://artflx.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/search3t?dgdivhead=vis&dbname=lewisandshort

Quote from: grumbler on July 17, 2011, 06:55:13 AM
1. Computer terminal
2.  First Aid kit
3.  Locker
4.  Generator

There you go, thinking like a classicist, when he needed a medieval mindset...
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

With respect to our Jesuit-educated counselor, who obviously has a better memory than I do, I would've gone with more translatable words for "power down" and "power on/ignition", like dormito and emergo. 

Quotehas to be clear enough that a non-Latin-speaker can translate it

To sleep, to rise.  They could figure that out.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2011, 04:22:35 PM
With respect to our Jesuit-educated counselor, who obviously has a better memory than I do, I would've gone with more translatable words for "power down" and "power on/ignition", like dormito and emergo. 

Quotehas to be clear enough that a non-Latin-speaker can translate it

To sleep, to rise.  They could figure that out.
I like those options.  Thanks.

Bayraktar!

dps

Depostitorium seems better for foot locker, IMO.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on July 17, 2011, 07:30:22 AM

True.
Just look in an Italian dictionary.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

I ran through the Old World Blues DLC over the weekend.  It has a buttload of side quests, though some of them consist of talking with one character & then walking over to a different part of the room & talking to another.  I think there are a couple plot holes and one of the quests is annoyingly repetitive, but of the three DLCs released so far this one is probably the best.

The new weapons & enemies are decent & the map (Big MT research compound) is wide open & huge.  Dialogue provides more back story to the main story and the other DLCs, and it continues to build up to your encounter with the other courier.

One odd thing though with all the DLCs is that you can access radio broadcasts from the other DLCs (no matter how far away or impertinent they are) but you can't access any broadcasts from the main area.  You get *some* music with the 'mysterious' broadcast that comes with Old World Blues, but I needz mah Radio New Vegas.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall