News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Looking For Books on Various Subjects

Started by Queequeg, July 12, 2011, 03:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Anyway, before we went down the rabbit hole, I should have stated that my issue with the date was more in line with how hard he has been looking for a book.  Top hit by keyword on Amazon and was published 45 years ago. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 12, 2011, 07:57:55 PM
Somebody's pants is a dairy factory.

Bactria growth can be right nasty.

citizen k

Quote from: alfred russel on July 12, 2011, 08:26:51 PM
I doubt Bactria has had a lot happening since 1966, so that is probably okay.

Ai Khanoum would have been unknown to Tarn.

Razgovory

I always wanted to find a good book on Cortez and the fall of the Aztecs.  Everything I find is about how evil Europeans crushed a beautiful native culture.  Bleh.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2011, 08:18:52 PM
Psellus is kind of lame. If I go to the Books section on Amazon and type in Bactria - that Tarn book is the first hit. :huh:

It was also published in 1966..
This is fair, actually.  Given the near-total dearth of literature on Sassanian and Parthian Persia, I presumed that the literature on the Greco-Bactrian Kingdom was similarly limited.  Seems that was flawed. 

I've seen a lot of books on Alexander's campaign, but few on Bactria before. Now I'm getting two for my birthday, I think.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2011, 11:41:09 PM
I always wanted to find a good book on Cortez and the fall of the Aztecs.  Everything I find is about how evil Europeans crushed a beautiful native culture.  Bleh.

It's not like Cortez has a great deal of stuff in his favor. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2011, 09:16:38 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 12, 2011, 08:38:37 PM
If I am going to read books about antiquity centered in that part of the world, I'm not so concerned about a somewhat old date of publication. The instability has kept away a lot of the archeology, so the scholarship is somewhat frozen in time.

You're right. There have been no discoveries in remote areas since the '60s. Nor have their been any shift in attitudes that may help or hinder understanding of what we do have in archeological records.

It isn't that they are remote, it is that they are dangerous. I'm reading a book on Elam (mostly Iran, but also parts of Iraq), and the archeology basically ended about 30 years ago. That may be more extreme than Bactria, but I doubt Afghanistan, Pakistan, and some of the sketchy-est parts of the former USSR had a lot of digs going on.

As for a shift in attitudes, that isn't such a big deal. Bactria is an obscure enough topic the number of researchers is probably quite limited anyway, and the books are going to present a sizeable chunk of archeological evidence. You can come to your own conclusions, especially if you are familiar with current thought on the general era (as I assume spellus is).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2011, 11:44:55 PM

He won.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on July 12, 2011, 11:53:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2011, 09:16:38 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 12, 2011, 08:38:37 PM
If I am going to read books about antiquity centered in that part of the world, I'm not so concerned about a somewhat old date of publication. The instability has kept away a lot of the archeology, so the scholarship is somewhat frozen in time.

You're right. There have been no discoveries in remote areas since the '60s. Nor have their been any shift in attitudes that may help or hinder understanding of what we do have in archeological records.

It isn't that they are remote, it is that they are dangerous. I'm reading a book on Elam (mostly Iran, but also parts of Iraq), and the archeology basically ended about 30 years ago. That may be more extreme than Bactria, but I doubt Afghanistan, Pakistan, and some of the sketchy-est parts of the former USSR had a lot of digs going on.

As for a shift in attitudes, that isn't such a big deal. Bactria is an obscure enough topic the number of researchers is probably quite limited anyway, and the books are going to present a sizeable chunk of archeological evidence. You can come to your own conclusions, especially if you are familiar with current thought on the general era (as I assume spellus is).

Right, well have fun with those delusions.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Did you read The Conquest of New Spain by Diaz?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2011, 11:44:55 PM

He had God on his side. :pope:

The cannons didn't hurt either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

QuoteI'm reading a book on Elam
Name?  Any good?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

ulmont

Anybody got a recommendation for books on the Foreign Legion?

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on July 13, 2011, 09:10:30 AM
QuoteI'm reading a book on Elam
Name?  Any good?

I'm kind of interested as well.  There's very little written about Elam.  Is their language even translated?