News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Looking For Books on Various Subjects

Started by Queequeg, July 12, 2011, 03:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Reading Peter Green's Alexander to Actium.  Maybe the best work of history I've ever read.

Looking for something similar on Italy up to the Late Republic, anything on any period of pre-Islamic Persia, and anything on pre-Mongol China.  I'm also buying everything I can find by Green on Amazon. 

Suggestions?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Which kind of history within those areas interests you the most?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Quote from: The Brain on July 12, 2011, 04:14:35 PM
Which kind of history within those areas interests you the most?
In Italy, cultural, ethnic and military.  Interested in the formation of a Roman ethnicity, the founding of the city, kingdom and Republic, assimilation of Etruscan culture and Samnite fighting styles, etc...Anything great on the Etruscans would be a godsend.

Actually, if anyone knows anything interesting on any pre-Roman Anatolian polities (the Hittite Kingdom, Pergamon, Pontus, Lydia), that'd be awesome too.

China and Persia, more cultural, religious and economic. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

A couple of years ago I read Cornell's The Beginnings of Rome: Italy and Rome from the Bronze Age to the Punic Wars (c. 1000-264 BC). It was totally OK IIRC, books about that period are not as common as I would prefer so I found it informative.

Edit: A problem here is that it includes quite a bit of Roman political history.

Edit 2: Meh, not that much. I say it seems pretty nice for you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

citizen k

Not in your categories, but I've recently been enjoying Tarn's The Greeks in Bactria and India.

Queequeg

Quote from: citizen k on July 12, 2011, 05:35:01 PM
Not in your categories, but I've recently been enjoying Tarn's The Greeks in Bactria and India.
Oh holy fuck.  You know how long I've been looking for a book on Bactria? 

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Psellus is kind of lame. If I go to the Books section on Amazon and type in Bactria - that Tarn book is the first hit. :huh:

It was also published in 1966..
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2011, 08:18:52 PM
Psellus is kind of lame. If I go to the Books section on Amazon and type in Bactria - that Tarn book is the first hit. :huh:

It was also published in 1966..

I doubt Bactria has had a lot happening since 1966, so that is probably okay.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on July 12, 2011, 08:26:51 PM

On the other hand, scholarship has advanced in many areas since then.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2011, 08:34:48 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 12, 2011, 08:26:51 PM

On the other hand, scholarship has advanced in many areas since then.

If I am going to read books about antiquity centered in that part of the world, I'm not so concerned about a somewhat old date of publication. The instability has kept away a lot of the archeology, so the scholarship is somewhat frozen in time.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on July 12, 2011, 08:38:37 PM
If I am going to read books about antiquity centered in that part of the world, I'm not so concerned about a somewhat old date of publication. The instability has kept away a lot of the archeology, so the scholarship is somewhat frozen in time.

You're right. There have been no discoveries in remote areas since the '60s. Nor have their been any shift in attitudes that may help or hinder understanding of what we do have in archeological records.