Tabloid phone hacking scandal involving kidnapped girl roils Britain

Started by jimmy olsen, July 05, 2011, 07:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on July 17, 2011, 08:37:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 17, 2011, 08:20:02 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on July 17, 2011, 06:45:11 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 17, 2011, 06:17:14 PMStupid drunken Poles.

:huh:
I'm suggesting he didn't pass out from the heat.  I'm suggesting he passed out in the typical Slavic fashion.
Mine was funnier because I suggested that Martinus was too fat to walk around in the heat.  Like a Wal-Mart customer.

LOL you ass. Anyway, the way it went. I was on the sidewalk near the sea, pretty much at midday and suddenly had a great idea to walk on a low wall between it and the beach (yeah, like a 5 y.o.  :rolleyes: ). I slipped and jumped off it and thought I hurt my ankle. Then I started to feel a bit dizzy from pain/shock so I thought I will sit for a moment on the wall until I feel better...

Then I find myself thinking "is it time to wake up yet? Where am I? What is going on?" and I open my eyes and find myself sprawled on the pavement, face down, with a bruise on my cheek (I look as if I was in a fight) and people gathering around me asking if I'm fine.

Neil

Maybe you were gay-bashed and repressed the memory due to the trauma?  Surely that would be the most dramatic conclusion, right?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

And the original whistleblower is found dead. This is getting interesting.  :lol:

mongers

Quote from: Martinus on July 18, 2011, 01:56:07 PM
And the original whistleblower is found dead. This is getting interesting.  :lol:

In all probability he died of long term alcoholism.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 18, 2011, 07:14:45 PM
The Assistant Commissioner just resigned.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=14100762

Old news, that's at least 12 hours old.  :P

Some in the Westminster village wisper that David Cameron might have to resign. :gasp:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on July 18, 2011, 07:16:33 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 18, 2011, 07:14:45 PM
The Assistant Commissioner just resigned.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=14100762

Old news, that's at least 12 hours old.  :P

Wasn't mentioned here yet! :P

How about this then, a computer, phone and records where found in the trash near Rebekah Brooks house.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/18/mystery-bag-bin-rebekah-brooks
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Hopefully the Guardian gets closed down for picking through people's garbage.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Drakken

And now we have a dead man talking on our arms. Police says they ignore the cause of this suicide. :ph34r:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/sean-hoare-news-of-the-world-whistleblower-found-dead-guardian-reports/2011/07/18/gIQAqQ96LI_blog.html

QuoteSean Hoare, News of the World whistleblower, found dead, Guardian reports

By Melissa Bell

The Guardian reports that Sean Hoare, the former News of the World reporter who first claimed that Andy Coulson knew of phone hacking by his staff, has been found dead at his home. The police told the Guardian that they do not know how Hoare died, but do not believe the cause of death to be suspicious.

Hoare gave an interview to the New York Times in 2010 that bolstered allegations the phone hacking was a widespread and accepted practice at the tabloid. He also said that Coulson encouraged the practice. Hoare was let go from the News of the World for problems related to drinking and drugs.

Hoare had been in contact with the Guardian and the New York Times only last week, stating that the News of the World staff used police technology to track phones.

Gups

Quote from: Neil on July 18, 2011, 07:35:51 PM
Hopefully the Guardian gets closed down for picking through people's garbage.

It was the cops.

Martinus

Darken, why don't you also post the story about the murdered girl's phone being hacked while you are at posting old stuff?

mongers

Some twat has just tried to hit Rupert Murdoch in the face with a 'custard pie'. :rolleyes:

edit:
man being held outside committee room by police, appears to have shaving foam on his own face.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: mongers on July 19, 2011, 11:01:36 AM
Some twat has just tried to hit Rupert Murdoch in the face with a 'custard pie'. :rolleyes:

edit:
man being held outside committee room by police, appears to have shaving foam on his own face.

Sounds like somebody tried to reenact Mavolio Bent's little scene from Making Money. :P
Experience bij!

Richard Hakluyt

According to the Guardian the trouble maker was a "UK-uncut activist", or knobhead to use a more colloquial term.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on July 15, 2011, 07:55:08 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2011, 05:55:35 PM
Well journalists will frequently refuse to answer questions under oath in order to "protect their sources", when such priviledge is given little to no legal protection.
And they frequently go to jail for it, as lawbreakers.  I can see journalists deciding to pay the penalty for breaking the law as a matter of rational self-interest.  But that has nothing to do with freedom of the press.

:lol:

So freedom of the press has nothing to do with the freedom to investigate without fear?  Doesnt that make the freedom to report what they want ring a bit hollow.

Did you read Brazen's post?

The thing that raises a concern in the case is everyone loves to beat up on Murdoch and hail Privacy Rights as being supreme.  But if privacy is a supreme right then how could a free press remain a meaningful institution?  Are we really condemned to live in a world where news rooms are even more reliant on press releases for the "news" because nobody wants to dig for a story for fear of fighting a privacy violation case.