News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why did teenagers stop getting jobs?

Started by MadImmortalMan, July 05, 2011, 12:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

What happened?

I really don't think the oldsters are pushing them out of the market like the graph suggests.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HVC

school has become more important? i know here (ontario) the got rid of grade 13 and when they did summer school participation spiked (not sure if it's still hugh, or went back down)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

They've gotten so spoiled their parents don't make them work to get pocket money?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on July 05, 2011, 01:11:27 PM
They've gotten so spoiled their parents don't make them work to get pocket money?

And they listen to jazz music and don't respect their elders!

Who is taking the jobs that kids would have once taken? Anecdotally, it seems to be immigrants or minority adults.

Edit: What was the actual article called? I can't find it with a quick google.

Stonewall

Economics are part of the equation with less jobs meaning less opportunity for entry level workers.

Also, kids are spoiled brats who expect everything handed to them on a silver platter.  Parents no longer kick little Jimmy to the curb when Jimmy turns 25 and still doesn't have a job. 

Conversely, in poor households, little Jimmy is a three time convicted felon and just got out of jail following his latest driving on a suspended license charge.  His lack of a drivers license and possession of a criminal record prevents him from getting the job peddling a Big Mac so that he then goes out and peddles a little smack instead.  Morever, convict Jimmy don't want to work anyway since work is beneath him and would rather steal copper from your air conditioner than take a job at Popeyes.

IMO.

"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

garbon

Quote from: Stonewall on July 05, 2011, 01:12:32 PM
Parents no longer kick little Jimmy to the curb when Jimmy turns 25 and still doesn't have a job. 

What relevance does that have to kids not having jobs while in high school? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Faeelin on July 05, 2011, 01:11:53 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 05, 2011, 01:11:27 PM

And they listen to jazz music and don't respect their elders!

Don't dismiss that hypothesis so quickly. Certain demographic trends such as people waiting longer to have children and having fewer of them would tend to support it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: HVC on July 05, 2011, 01:06:25 PM
school has become more important? i know here (ontario) the got rid of grade 13 and when they did summer school participation spiked (not sure if it's still hugh, or went back down)

That's not it. School and part-time jobs have always gone hand-in-hand.

Fate

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 05, 2011, 01:18:44 PM

Eh not really. Parents who have the option don't want their kids working so that they can do better in school.

DGuller

Is this trend a bad thing?  Children should be children, there will be plenty of time for work later on in life.

Grey Fox

Computers. No one needs an army of teens in the summer to do filing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Fate on July 05, 2011, 01:25:09 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 05, 2011, 01:18:44 PM

Eh not really. Parents who have the option don't want their kids working so that they can do better in school.

Maybe that's the real answer to the question then. A shift in cultural thinking about it.

Parents used to view having a job as part of the kids' education, not a hindrance to it.

Josephus

Kids download everything they need so they don't need money.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Fate