And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on January 20, 2016, 04:04:44 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 20, 2016, 03:47:09 PM
I read that Moscow has 15,500 snow ploughs.
Not sure about the county I live in now, but the last county I lived in had two. :lol:

It's an interesting operation, they go around in large echelons, the collect snow it then scooped into trucks, driven away to sewage plants, mechanically broken up, mixed with the warm waste, which is then treated and discharged into the river.  :cool:

I guess with that amount of snow you have to evolve systems that deal with it month in month out.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on January 20, 2016, 04:28:05 PM
Not sure about the county I live in now, but the last county I lived in had two. :lol:

It's an interesting operation, they go around in large echelons, the collect snow it then scooped into trucks, driven away to sewage plants, mechanically broken up, mixed with the warm waste, which is then treated and discharged into the river.  :cool:

I guess with that amount of snow you have to evolve systems that deal with it month in month out.

Very elaborate systems. :contract:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2016, 04:30:56 PM

Overly so?

Bureaucrats playing snow castles perhaps?  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Sun!  :yeah:

Feels like a couple weeks since I've seen the sun.

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on January 20, 2016, 04:40:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2016, 04:30:56 PM

Overly so?

Bureaucrats playing snow castles perhaps?  :D

It was a joke. :frusty:

Our "elaborate system" is to pile it up in huge piles, then wait for it to melt in the summer.  It's about as basic and low tech as you can get.

The last thing you could do with it though is dump it into the river.  Mixed in with all the snow are tones of sand and gravel dumped on the streets to improve traction.

Actually, once the snow melts, they just scoop up the remaining gravel, sort it, and dump it on the streets next winter. :lol:

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2016, 01:28:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 20, 2016, 09:12:50 AM
Yeah, we got an inch of snow and a little more on the way, and they cancel school.

A whole inch of snow!?!?!  What a terrible catastrophe!

No shit.  Now when I did venture out to the gas station to pick up emergency supplies (was out of Monster FFS) the roads were pretty bad.  But that was just because it was pretty cold and nobody had though to pre-treat the roads (note that they pre-treat them all the time when it ends up raining).  The original two hour delay would have probably done the trick.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

CNN said the models are predicting 32 inches for DC. 

Ed Anger

They called school off for an inch of snow. AN INCH.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 20, 2016, 07:26:29 PM
They called school off for an inch of snow. AN INCH.
They actually already cancelled school around here for tomorrow.  The roads are totally clear. :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 20, 2016, 06:43:53 PM

Got only a half inch or so tonight and the roads looks like this:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HisMajestyBOB

I left my car in the parking garage overnight rather than drive home in that mess. Fuck that shit.
None of the local governments pre-treated roads, so that plus retarded drivers = bumper cars.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Caliga

Snow predictions for tomorrow are so dire they're talking about shutting Wild Turkey's production line down.  OMG BUT WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE DRUNKS  :cry:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Much of Massachusetts and norther New England should dodge this storm, except southern eastern Mass south of Boston should get up to six inches. That includes where I am. So far that's the weather report and it could change but the forecasters do think it's more likely to be pushed south and east so we won't have the monster storm that the mid Atlantic states get.

Barrister

I like to make fun of Americans for not knowing how to deal with snow, but 32" is a fucking lot of snow that would choke any town into submission.

I remember hearing about the great blizzard of '86 in Winnipeg (I didn't live there at the time), and it shut down the city for a couple of days.  Total snowfall - 35cm (about 14").

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/from-the-cbc-vault-winnipeg-s-blizzard-of-86-1.2827057

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on January 21, 2016, 02:32:40 PM

I like to make fun of Americans for not knowing how to deal with snow, but 32" is a fucking lot of snow that would choke any town into submission.

I remember hearing about the great blizzard of '86 in Winnipeg (I didn't live there at the time), and it shut down the city for a couple of days.  Total snowfall - 35cm (about 14").

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/from-the-cbc-vault-winnipeg-s-blizzard-of-86-1.2827057
I was here in Anchorage for  St. Patrick's day 2002 storm which set record with 22" and that shut down city for two days.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son