News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

We have been in a category 4 drought since mid July.  In the last 85 days we have had 14 mm of rain and almost all of that came in a short period of time about a week ago.  This is the lowest amount of precipitation since records have been kept in this area.  The Premier and her climate advisory committee are warning that this weather pattern will likely become more the norm than the aberration.

Caliga

:hmm: It's weird to think of Vancouver being a temperate desert.  That would make the climate like what, southern Spain?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2015, 10:26:24 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 04, 2015, 10:25:31 AM
Cal did you get any of that storm that ripped through here yesterday?  It cleared out fairly quickly but I heard there were tornado sightings in Northern KY.
In the morning you mean? :hmm:  There were a lot of angry looking clouds and some gusts of wind but I don't even remember much rain.

Nah, this one came through around 6:00pm yesterday and lasted til about 7:30pm.  Went through quickly but made its mark.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2015, 10:54:20 AM
:hmm: It's weird to think of Vancouver being a temperate desert.  That would make the climate like what, southern Spain?

I am not sure what a good comparator would be.   We are moving from a temperate rain forest climate with significant snow packs in the winter into something warmer and drier.  It will be interesting to see what the fall weather will be like.  I sure hope it rains as it normally would during the late fall and winter.  Even better if we can get more of a snow pack this year.

katmai

Warmest summer in quite some time and forecast is mild and sparse snowy winter again. (Last winter set record for lowest snowfall on record here)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

KRonn

Quote from: katmai on August 04, 2015, 01:17:42 PM
Warmest summer in quite some time and forecast is mild and sparse snowy winter again. (Last winter set record for lowest snowfall on record here)

WE got all your snow last year!   :mad:  Over nine feet of it, and in just over one month, and just began to fall in February! Plus frigid, frozen Alaska like temps. I don't mind the cold, and have good cold weather gear, but man, I was beginning to get a bit shocked and awed at how cold and snowy it was.

So far a dry summer, like last summer, though we got some heavy rain last night.

Syt

Quote from: katmai on August 04, 2015, 01:17:42 PM

Any job offers in Anchorage? :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Went cycling in Sweden today. Did 100km and set up my tent. Forgot the outer shell. No worries, it's a clear blue sky. Night. Thunder in the distant. Torrential downpour. Wet. Pack everything and ride through the night. Reached Helsingborg just in time to make the ferry that connects to the last train.

Fuck. Me.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

I rode that ferry.  :)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on August 04, 2015, 05:12:48 PM
Went cycling in Sweden today. Did 100km and set up my tent. Forgot the outer shell. No worries, it's a clear blue sky. Night. Thunder in the distant. Torrential downpour. Wet. Pack everything and ride through the night. Reached Helsingborg just in time to make the ferry that connects to the last train.

Fuck. Me.

A S(o)und trip, weren't it for the Brain's overreaction?

Brazen

I think it's a record year for the most average summer ever in the UK. A few hot days, a few cooler days, a bit of rain. Meh.

Syt

We now have a severe heat warning up till Thursday minimum. We're looking at 36-38 degrees every day till then, minimum, possibly longer.-
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould