News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Forecast says high 90s and high humidity for the next seven days or so, with a chance of hitting 100 tomorrow.

Me at the moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1pByV5AiPQ

Could be worse. The Jehova's Witnesses have their annual meeting at Happel Stadium today and tomorrow - though there's a roof over the stands it heats up real nice. Must be real fun in suit and tie.  :D

Though I have a feeling the baptisms will be super popular this year. :D

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Relevant news:

http://www.thelocal.at/20150717/vienna-works-to-fight-urban-heat-island-effect

QuoteVienna works to combat urban heat effect

Scientists in Vienna are working on a project to green the city in an effort to combat the Urban Heat Island (UHI) effect - where urban air temperatures become higher than those of rural areas during the summer months as heat is absorbed by buildings and street surfaces.

As the mercury rises to close to 40C the urban centre can become unbearably sticky, and cause respiratory problems for vulnerable people. As climate change brings longer stretches of hotter weather to central Europe, experts are worried about the health of city dwellers who can't escape the urban heat island.

Vienna is one of the first European cities to set up an 'Urban Heat Islands Strategic Plan', which aims to reduce the effects of UHI and raise awareness about the importance of parks and green, shady spaces in the city.

Vienna's central districts are on average 4 or 5C hotter than the suburbs - and as much as 12C hotter than the countryside. Heat stored in buildings and roads and emitted by factories and cars - plus a lack of cooling vegetation means that the inner city barely cools down at night, leaving some residents unable to get a good night's sleep.

Between 1961 and 1990 Vienna had on average 9.6 hot days a year (30C or more) but from 2010 this figure has risen to an average of 15.2 days.

"Further efforts are needed to make sure we can effectively counter the negative climatic impact of urban heat sources," Karin Büchl-Krammerstätter, head of the MA 22 environment department told the ORF.

It all comes down to having more green spaces in the city - whether that is parks, allotments, trees or green roofs. New green spaces are already planned for the Hauptbahnhof, the Seestadt Aspern and Donaustadt (including fruit orchards in Seestadt and a cherry tree park in Donaustadt).

There are also plans to create more open water spaces and plant more trees to provide shade on the streets. City residents are being asked to help by greening their courtyards and rooftops. "Every single plant pot makes a difference and acts like a little air-conditioning unit," Büchl-Krammerstätter said.

Older people, as well as the chronically ill and people from socially disadvantaged groups are more affected by the heat. High temperatures also present a challenge for Austria's water suppliers as demand increases during the summer months.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

6am, 25°C in the city, 28°C in the apartment.

Forecast for the week:
Sun 38°
Mon 31°
Tue 35°
Wed 38°
Thu 38°
Fri 34°

I should get a vacation home in Norway, Finland or Sweden. *checks job offers for Helsinki*
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

Shitty summer so far. July hasn't been much warmer. August better deliver.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Syt

You could always go back to Holstein for a cooler and wetter summer.  :P

Syt

I've looked at job offers in Scandiweenia, but they're all written in incomprehensible, barbaric tongues. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Sayeth the putative plattdeutscher. :P

Grey Fox

Syt, do you need us to amazon you a AC Unit?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I'll be fine. Two or three weeks a year don't justify an AC. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Oh yes, they do, they do.

Would you go without heating for 3 weeks in the middle of winter?

A 1 room A/C is ~120$ here. It's not crazy money.

Syt

The portable ones start in the 200 EUR range for small rooms. Below that is only stuff where you fill a tank with cold water tank over which a fan blows. I can do that myself.

One for my apartment on Amazon starts at about 350 EUR, including the ugly window screen I would have to use for the hose (can't drill a hole through the wall or attach the outside bit of a split unit AC; building owner won't permit it).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 21, 2015, 07:20:22 AM
No Hose.

You need this : http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/garrison-5000-btu-window-electric-air-conditioner-0435443p.html#.Va44_vlViko

Can't find one like those here. Besides, my windows are like this:

Outer panes open outside, the inner ones inside.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Liep on July 21, 2015, 02:47:55 AM
Shitty summer so far. July hasn't been much warmer. August better deliver.

I'd happily give you all 10 degrees from the air here.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Weather is hot and humid here since Sunday through today. Supposed to cool down a bit and dry out by tomorrow. So far a nice summer and not over hot as yet, but no one's complaining after the glaciers that hit us with nine feet of snow and uber frigid temps last winter.