News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Snow melt has been pretty dramatic and even though I still have a couple feet of snow cover on my lawn, the bigger snow piles have melted down a lot.  Those snow piles have been a real hazard for driving as it was hard to see around or over them at intersections or when trying to enter a road and especially a main road or highway. The were too high to see over in so many places that at first it was damn dangerous to pull out onto roads in some places. The difference over the past week and a half has been huge. In the cities it's been worse, especially in Boston with the narrow roads and on street parking only in so many neighborhoods.

lustindarkness

Wow, 9 feet of snow in a season is quite a bit.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

KRonn

And the bulk of 9 feet of snow came in a month and a half. Started last week of January and through most of February. It would have been more manageable if it had happened throughout much of the winter months. We had no snow on the ground until late January when the first big storm hit, and had only received maybe a few inches over all prior to that.

katmai

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 16, 2015, 01:58:45 PM
A normal winter here, of course this year we are sitting at 20 something inches total lol
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

KRonn

Quote from: katmai on March 16, 2015, 06:41:48 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on March 16, 2015, 01:58:45 PM
A normal winter here, of course this year we are sitting at 20 something inches total lol

Kat, you guys were slacking off with winter this year! We should have had reverse snowfalls!   :D

viper37

God's wrath has descended upon my province:

everyone else has higher than normal temp, but it's freezing cold here.  And I don't have anymore wood :(  I guess my government will be very happy with me this year :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Got some of the windows open today to air the house a bit.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

It's been warm here, in the 40s and near 50 F yesterday. Going to turn a bit colder but still in the 30s (above freezing of 32F).

Snow melt has been dramatic. Hoping to see more and more so my garden area can clear up so the sun can start warming the ground. Then I can plant my crops by early May, or even April for some crops if it warms up enough. I have potatoes that are beyond ready to be planted so would like to get them in late April or early May, as they can handle some cool weather, but I'd want the ground to be warmed up enough.

viper37

Quote from: KRonn on March 17, 2015, 09:29:06 AM
It's been warm here, in the 40s and near 50 F yesterday. Going to turn a bit colder but still in the 30s (above freezing of 32F).

Snow melt has been dramatic. Hoping to see more and more so my garden area can clear up so the sun can start warming the ground. Then I can plant my crops by early May, or even April for some crops if it warms up enough. I have potatoes that are beyond ready to be planted so would like to get them in late April or early May, as they can handle some cool weather, but I'd want the ground to be warmed up enough.
snow storm here today :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

As Mongers would say, Seattle gets a lot of drissle.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

I see today that we are on the second day of high pollution warnings in London (reminds me of how we had smog days in Los Angeles). I like that the first listed cause is noted as those nasty polluters on the continent, before noting some contributory factors of local pollution and the Midlands. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on March 18, 2015, 09:02:39 AM
I see today that we are on the second day of high pollution warnings in London (reminds me of how we had smog days in Los Angeles). I like that the first listed cause is noted as those nasty polluters on the continent, before noting some contributory factors of local pollution and the Midlands. :D

I would assume that the prevailing wind currents would flow from UK to mainland Europe, west to east, so the pollution from the rest of Euro-land wouldn't be the primary cause?

garbon

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/boris-tells-londoners-to-spend-less-time-outdoors-to-improve-health-10113183.html

QuoteExperts said the toxic pollution spike was due to winds dying down and dirty air coming in from the Continent, combining with traffic fumes and other airborne contaminants.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

So apparently lack of wind can be a problem? :D